Sunday, October 4, 2009

Relax, Rest and Paprika

So I tried to get this done before midnight! Close, but hey, it has been a lovely day. Slept in and then woke up and proceeded to take a two hour nap! I have grown to enjoy a simple breakfast over the past several weeks. That would be yogurt with fresh fruit, a bagel (which has not been easy to find over here by the way!) plus coffee. Used to be cereal with a banana and coffee but the weather was hot in San Francisco and the yogurt tasted good. Can anyone tell me why bananas are so hard to find when traveling outside of the United States? Seriously, it happened in Australia and now here in Denmark. I miss my banana. The potassium is so good for you. Granted, I may be making a blanket statement for two countries apply to more, but it is an observation.

Did you know that cantaloupe is champagne melon? You never know what will be tossed out next. But I have to tell you I had what the restaurant called a “Good-bye summer” salad. Oh am I going to fix this one again. It was spinach with champagne melon and watermelon plus shaved parmesan cheese. Add to that a balsamic vinaigrette dressing. But there was a bite to it as I ate it and could not figure it out. So I asked the server. Get this…minced JalapeƱo in the salad to give it the heat of the summer. Is that cool or what? I mean, well you know what I mean. The blending of such different stuff to shake up the norm of what we expect as a salad.

So I can now stop talking about food for the day as that was all I had. I was totally in a non-food mode this day, but when it hit it was for simple stuff. Especially the salad this evening I so did not want to see more than a course. Yes, I am a total foodie, but one can only handle so many multi-course dinners in a week. And do not get me started on the restaurant at the hotel in San Francisco. OK, so I will for a minute…it was called Ponzu.

Here is what their website says about it: Do you Ponzu? This San Francisco fusion restaurant is located downtown in Union Square, next to the historic Serrano Hotel. A free-flowing dining room and cocktail lounge experience envelops Ponzu's guests in a fantasy environment the moment they arrive. From the backlit magnifying glass sconce outside the front door to the vast curvy bar backed by three large tanks of tropical fish inside, diners get a sense of the whimsical style throughout.

Well folks…I did the Ponzu and sorry I did. The 3 fish tanks are now lifeless. The wine storage is empty and no flowers to speak of…yes, it is hurting and yet there is one thing they have so much of that it shows up on every item you order. Yes, I speak of paprika. My God! They douche everything with it. Potatoes, French fries, crab cakes, salad dressings, it was vulgar after a while! There was someone in the kitchen who knew to keep it away from dairy and fresh fruit! I must send them a thank you note.

And we are back and with that I will share that it has been a perfect day here in Copenhagen and one that was totally unplanned as I thought I was flying home today. One thing I did learn this day is that Copenhagen is sometimes referred to as the Paris of the north. Hmmm, I can understand that as it is very walk able like Paris.

As a closing comment, here is a site of the city that made me laugh; he may be gone, but not forgotten. A couple of things to note in the picture, it was a lovely day and if you look carefully, see what restaurant is in the reflection – yes, a touch of America in this city…they are everywhere! Not sure how tomorrow is going to unfold, so I might not get to post until my return to the states. Cheers!
PS: Work with me as I learn to add stuff and fluff up these postings. It is a learning curve to be sure. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment