Friday, January 29, 2010

Moment of Zen

Good day to one and all,


The title of this post come direct from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart on Comedy Central. They are usually at the end of the show and are a bit like that closing moment on CBS Sunday Morning when they just show some area of the country and have the natural sounds. OK, so why do I go on like this, well, yesterday, Thursday, I was driving to work just like any day and part of my commute includes crossing Lake Washington on I-90.

Well, as I exited the tunnel from Seattle onto the floating bridge it was nothing but magical. Lake Washington was a mirror or nature that morning. The reflection of the trees in a deep blue as the sun was just beginning to makes it's assent for the day. It was stunning how calm the lake was. I am not sure if words can describe how lovely it was. The band of orange hinting at was coming sneaked in between the mountains and the low hanging clouds. The clouds were high enough for a clear view but low enough to hide Mt. Rainer. It was so intimate. The glimmer of morning's light cast an orange glow on the Bellevue skyline, something that only a decade before did not exist. It was the break from nature that was unstoppable, yet not offensive. It is where we are today. And so in taking in all of this I felt so alone and yet it took no more than looking ahead to see the hundreds, nay thousands of headlights and taillights of the cars to realize I was but one of hundreds in this moment...alas, how many were even taking the time to enjoy it?

2 comments:

  1. That is great stuff Swanda, and a beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this. Whidden says she too enjoys driving I-90 and enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete