Sunday, January 10, 2010

A new chapter in so many ways


Hello there and Happy New Year! Grab a cup of coffee or whatever your favorite beverage is, this is a posting unlike any other in that it took over three hours, happy reading. Do take a moment to let me know what you think of my postings. Yes, there are misspellings, get over it...but ask questions or offer suggestions - but do enjoy and off we go...

Well, this is a new year and in ringing in the new year, Sydney, Australia has to get the credit for best fireworks to ring in the new year. They do an amazing job every year and this year was no exception as the bridge was ablaze plus 5 barges and several buildings downtown had fireworks go off. Really something to see and enjoy. Runner-ups included London, Hong Kong and Paris was lovely as they saluted the 120th anniversary of the Eiffel Tower. Seattle was pretty darn sad this year, they so need to ramp it up, but then, we do have one hell of a 4th of July show every year up here. Alas, it will be interesting to see what happens this year as Chase has pulled out of sponsoring them after 1 year. Chase took over WaMu that had been presenting sponsor for years. Yes, I am a fireworks whore and so there you go. By the way, if you want to see any of the New Year fireworks, go to YouTube and you can enjoy.

It is a new year and a time of new beginnings and new directions. In writing this blog posting I got word that my niece, Meredith, has gone into labor and soon we will be welcoming Elizabeth Grace Clark. Wowzers, that means I will be a great uncle, kinda makes me feel old. But you know you are only as old as you feel, and I am not feeling too old for the most part. Last month turning 50 was a lot of fun and yet when Mike, my brother, sent me the 5 DVD's of movies that came out in 1959, seeing that "special 50th anniversary edition" banner really hit me. But that was then and this is now.

Last October this blog began as I was in Copenhagen and it was fun and I think I was a bit more adventuresome than I realized. Thought it was possible to post 4-6 times a week. Boy, have I missed that goal. Just to be able to get to it every 10 days or so is an achievement! The holidays were a blur. Mixing the big 50th birthday bash with the usual holiday merriment and poof, December is gone. So this day I am going to try and share a few highlights from the holidaze and move into the new year as the sun rises and what a beautiful morning it is with some clouds and a yellow orb is on the rise, have not seen it in a while. And if you look carefully out my window you can see what I have called my "wedge-o-Rainier" as I only see the very top of Mt. Rainier. Even only seeing the top wedge, knowing how huge it is, makes me pause in wonder. Boy, one of my favorite views is when you fly out of Sea-Tac airport and head east and going by the mountain. It is STUNNING! Especially this time of year cloaked in it's winter coat of snow and ice.



Yes, we are quite fortunate here in the northwest to have such great mountains but also the water, oh how I love the water! Taking a ferry ride or just sitting at Duke's and enjoying a bowl of chowder and watching the birds interact with the water. It is why I will be moving in a couple of months. Yes, after 4 years of calling Uwajimaya my home, I will be moving in order to get a better view. I want to look at mountains (prefer the Olympics) and the water, such as Puget Sound. Being ever the planner, I am starting now to make it a nice smooth process. Also, I feel lucky to be surrounded with people such as Jodie and Moonsong who will help in making it a pleasant experience. There is one property in the lead at the moment. but it would be premature. What I can tell you is that the move will be happening the first weekend of April as my lease here is up April 6th. Markie is considering taking over the lease, he has always enjoyed the view. What is interesting is that for the past 10+ years I have, by choice, lived in a studio space. For you on the east coast, that would be an efficiency. I do wish to continue to do so, but may, just may, end up in a one-bedroom due to the layout and style of the building that is a top contender right now. I will keep you posted or is that blogged?

My last posting brought you up to date on the 50th birthday bash that is still vivid as it was only a month ago that it was all kicking off. For 15 people who did not attend, I have sent a box. It is asking you how I am going to make a donation. It will be up to you to reply to see who gets how much of the donation pie. What I did is to roll back the number of people attending the party. I ended up with some extra bags and saved some money. So, I mailed out bags and a request for the recipient to pick one of three charities to get a donation in their name. It was like Santa's workshop for a while getting all the boxes prepped and posted.

Speaking of Santa's, leave it to me to redecorate AFTER Christmas for the January holiday season! Yes, I packed up the Santa's and most of the red. In so doing I consolidated the "winter" decor to the shelf unit and sideboard in the dining area in addition to the tree. Snow globes and snowmen are the theme and even the tree skirt has changed to a winter white. Holiday free zones now are the bathroom and kitchen plus the sleeping area of the apt. Quite fun really. In 2009 I kept the tree up until March. This year who knows? With the move happening on Easter weekend, you really have to wonder if I will be able to decorate for Easter. Oh wait, it's me = of course I will! It is the last major decorating holiday until after Labor Day.

After the last guest's departed in December from the birthday celebration, I had an undecorated tree - it was up and lights on (ok so the tree came with the lights already on) it suddenly hit that Christmas was like two weeks away. What do you do? Relax! Yup, I refused to panic. Instead I decided that it opened up the possibilities to change. Decided to not let it worry me as much. Visited people and Markie has me over for a lovely brunch and heck we even got to see the bear in action.

In 2008, Markie got this inflatable bear and it greeted me upon arriving home from a long HOT trip. I laughed so hard. Since then it has been to Breitenbush and shown up at various places. So what better than to greet Lars & Anita when they arrived at Markie's house for dinner. Granted, that night it was waiting outside. Bless Markie for putting it up even as the rain began! It moved inside for the photo and to dry off. It is all happy again in a box in the closet. Who knows where it will appear next? But seriously, how can you not look at it and now smile. It is just begging to be loved and well, I am the original faerie Snowbear and welcome to a moment of laughter!

So after that dinner I managed a visit the next day to see Cindy down in Federal Way and catch up, who could think that we would still be in touch 25+ years after meeting at Old Wives' Tales in Portland. But the same holds true with Ani in California! Yup, it is often the case, once a friend, always a friend. We may come and go, but never forgotten. And so I rolled into Christmas week know that I would not be in Ashland, but that is OK! I started going down to see Mom in January a few years back and like it so much better. Cheaper flights and I have had the time to begin new traditions. With the tree decorated I was able to welcome Helene over on Christmas Eve for an evening of good times.

The evening began with a cocktail of pomegranate vodka on the rocks and enjoying an appetizer of double cream brie with pesto and sun dried tomatoes wrapped in a puff pastry. We watched the San Francisco Ballet's presentation of "The Nutcracker" which was FABULOUS! I do plan to go down and see it this year. Next was a lovely bottle of Louis Roederer Champagne that Helene had brought. What a treat. Out of the oven came a gorgeous Prime Rib which rested and then I carved off and cooked one slice longer for my dear friend (and Helene I love you but you need to get over the well done, it hurt to kill the prime rib that way)! Also served cheese ravioli and asparagus. Simple and clean and oh did we hurt afterwards. But in a good way = FOOD COMA! The holiday had begun and we welcomed it with style. The next day was Christmas and so off to bed I went once Helene was on her way home on the bus.


The next morning had me up enjoying coffee and watching the Yule Log on TV. Opened packages from friends and family and then decided it was time for a shower before the boys arrived to play Settlers of Catan. See earlier posts to see how I have been sucked into this world of wonder. But I am getting ahead of myself. Let's go back...The Yule Log is just a hoot! It was created years and years ago by KPTV in Portland, Oregon. They wanted to give their employees a day off on Christmas and so set up a camera up at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood and taped hours of the fire up there burning. It got picked up by a NYC TV station and started doing it (Channel 11 for you folks back there) and well, it became a sensation! A couple of year's ago, the son of the man who originally did it, tried to "update" it and this set off a battle of the purists of the original and those who wanted to be more modern. Kind of like "The Miracle on 34th Street" and whether you like the original black and whiter version or will accept the colorized version. Do not get me started on the two remakes, they are just not right! I am a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas. Oh and what is even better, I do the happy cry on all the movies of the season no matter how many times I watch them. Yup, I kid you not

So anywho, getting ready for a shower and there is a knock at the door...yes, Christmas morning...USPS delivering a box! Amazing!

Well, we had a blast playing Settlers of Catan and afterwards made our way across the street to Shanghai Garden. Chinese food and Christmas have become a tradition for me. Helene got me started on the Jewish Christmas a few years back = Chinese food and a movie! Well, this year the movie came later in the evening at home, but oh my goodness...over 40 people waiting to get in = thank the goddess for booking a reservation a month prior and ordering Peking Duck for the gang. We got in and seated as dozens of people looked at us with darting glares! Then getting the Peking Duck so quickly brought even more daring glares! Too funny. But hey, I am a regular all year and a good, no VERY good tipper! After the duck came Barley Green Dumplings filled with shrimp and leeks came out along with Shanghai pan-fired dumpling with pork and meat. Next was dry-sauteed green beans with chicken and pepper-salted spare ribs. Mongolian Beef and pork fired rice finished out our feast. A great meal and I can say we will be headed there later this day as the gang returns for our first game of Catan for 2010 and Chinese afterwards!

Saturday, the 26th had me up early and on the road over to see Michael at the coast. A weekend that would make any Brit proud. It was Boxing Day. Michael did a dinner that was gluttonous with no apologies. Kicking off the festivities were martini's (vodka for me and gin for Michael complete with blue cheese stuffed olives!) served with oysters on the half shell and wild gulf prawns. He even made a home made cocktail sauce that had a nice bite to it. Fireworks were set off on the back deck to mark the evening and to many laughs. A while later dinner was a standing rib roast complete with Yorkshire pudding which was TOO DIE FOR! Also he made amazing French-style mashed potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts. YUM! We enjoyed a lovely Red wine that I have completely forgotten what it was. But oh it was good. We were just too gorged to even think dessert and so the pumpkin pie waited until morning and served with coffee to greet Sunday.

Sunday was a day to be called grazing fest as we began with said pie and coffee only to be followed at 42nd Street Cafe with brunch. Cindy, Linda and Sharon joined us. Love the place, but boy, the server was not having a good day and decided to let us in on her dark side. Not a pleasant person, but we did not let it dampen our spirits. 42nd Street Beignets started our meal with coffee and they are so good, but enough with the powdered sugar, they were just drenched in the stuff and that just is overkill. But did you see any left over = NOT! Then it was time for breakfast and Cindy had the Blueberry Waffle which is house-made with wild blueberries, whipped cream and served with their house made wild blueberry syrup. Linda enjoyed Chicken-fried steak and eggs with ‘mash’cakes and chicken gravy. But have to say I am not a fan of their gravy. Too watery. Sharon decided on Pot-roasted Beef Hash of potatoes, onions and bell peppers with two eggs, poached. Michael - what did you have? I do not remember. Maybe because I wanted the Crab and Shrimp omelet with Ricotta and Parmesan cheese filling but "they were not serving that on that day" and so I decided on basic breakfast of 2 eggs with bacon plus toast and fried red potatoes - again, not a fan of the potatoes. But soon we were done and done and headed home. A nap was so needed, it had been an exhausting morning of eating and laughing and such.

Michael made a lovely supper of oyster stew and rib roast sandwiches. Mind you wine was included and so it was a perfect finale to a perfect day as we watch "Make the Yuletide Gay" a festive holiday video I got my hands on this year and will be an annual treat to be sure. Alas, the morning arrived all too soon and back to the city I drove. New year's Eve was now in my cross-hairs and needed to be attended too. During the week I got to enjoy a lovely dinner at Shanghai Garden with Chip Saturn, a dear friend who is so grounding and a joy to just chat with. The night flew by. And soon the New Year arrive and so this brings us full circle to the beginning of the post and welcoming in the new year - 2010!


The year kicked off with enjoying breakfast with Mick at The Shanty Cafe. Amy was still gone but did get to see her yesterday. Good to see she is back. After that it was home to putter a bit before heading to Markie's place. He lives on Rose Street and so decided to host a Rose Champagne Tasting complete with 6 + 2 different ones. Oh my! I took a Rose-hip glazed ham to welcome progress and others did everything from zesty Chinese vegetables and black-eyed peas to dumplings and the coffee table was groaning from the dessert bounty. I stayed a couple of hours, but had to get home as Jodie and Rob were due to have dinner around 7 that evening. I decided that they had been so nice to have me over on Thanksgiving I wanted to host them and not just go for Chinese which is my usual default. We enjoyed a dinner of baby-back ribs and chicken breasts slathered in a bourbon bbq sauce. A sweet potato casserole that was light and fluffy with NO marshmallows was quite enjoyable. Greens beans with bacon and pearl onions provided color and they brought champagne and rolls plus dessert. Just like at Michael's, dessert had to wait until morning! Just too much. But what a great pick-me-up to get going early as I was on the road early the next morning.

Road Trip deux in deux weeks!

Off to Portland to get a pair of shoes. Yes, shoes! Many of you know I have worn Birkenstock's for years. LOVE THEM! But over the last year or so my feet are getting colder in the winter and so off to Cobbler Bill's in Portland for some shoes. So why there? Well, I am a bit unique. I have a size 17EEEE left foot and a size 17EEE right foot. Bill was able to find a pair of shoes and customize them for me - for under $100!!! AMAZING.

Then it was off to Mother's Restaurant for brunch and to get several copies of her latest cookbook. She has been working on this cookbook for like 8 years and I am so happy to have been able to snag a few copies for friends and then Lisa came over and signed each one for my friends and family. How nice is that! It is so fabulous when dreams come true for friends! So after enjoying he Eggs Benedict that she does so well, it was off to Hillsboro to see Eric and have a night of fun and rest at his house and see people I have not seen in years. I also got to meet Chris and enjoy an unusual appetizer that he made. No it was not in Lisa's book but consists of salami and then peanut butter and then chopped peperoncini. Do not think about the three ingredients, just eat and enjoy and hey, it's pretty good! By the way, Eric decorates his house so much it makes mine look minimalist by any standard.

The next morning had me up early and off to meet siblings for breakfast at The Hands-On Cafe at the Northwest Collage of Arts & Crafts. Well, it is closed until today, the 10th, and so we headed to the Cadillac Cafe in northeast Portland. This spot has a fun factor with a neon pink sign, light-pink walls, an open kitchen and a '61 Caddy safely locked behind a wood- and glass-paneled garage door. Weekend brunch offers staples like buttermilk pancakes--fluffy and abundantly layered with blueberries, bananas and hazelnuts. French toast gets soaked in custard before hitting the griddle. Steak and eggs are a perfectly grilled filet mignon beside a hearty scramble with spinach, peppers and Gorgonzola. The coffee cup never goes empty either! And they use REAL coffee cups, not mugs!!! I was able to give them their gifts for the holiday and we enjoyed a great breakfast. I had the loaded potaotes with chees, bacon, eggs, peppers and potatoes all folded into one and came with a side of whole wheat toast. Yummers!

All too soon it was back on the road and after a quick drive-by to see Sandy and Allen I was home and relaxing with a good nap as the Seahawk's lost their last home game and now the coach has been fired. Again, something I will not miss here are all the games and ugly fans that destroy the area and really don't care where they drive, spit, pee or just dump stuff! It is frustrating at times to say the least. But all that fades quickly as I was off to see Lars and Anita for an amazing 4-course dinner to cap off an amazing holiday season! We started off with a lovely salad of greens with roasted pear and nuts topped with a beautiful bleu cheese - nice and stinky. This was served with champagne that greeted us upon arrival and made the trasition into dinner. Next up was an amazing mushroom soup that was to die for and served with a Pinot Noir that was a perfect pairing to be sure. Indian Curried Chicken with Basmati Rice that was delightful and spicy but the wine of choice, Gewrztraminer, with each sip, proved to be a perfect sweet tropical melody alternating with spicy acidic rhythm of the food. And dinner was a to die and go to heaven lemon moose with lace cookies and a Lemoncello liqueur. For those who have not heard of this before it is made by soaking lemon zests in neutral grain alcohol for a month or more, the result is a thick, sweet dessert cordial. Perfect to cap off a perfect dinner! Again, their home - complete with 6 Christmas trees - makes mine look bare!

And so now here we are up to date and yet so much to cover...like Duke's Mayonnaise! But that my friends is for another posting.

3 comments:

  1. Hey folks, it is rather stange to post this at 10:41am pacific time and yet it says I posted it at 7:34am...where is that time? Thoughts? Posted by Chris aka Swanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! Read it in two parts, but what a nice post! You have a ton of info here, but it's a nice memory of your two weeks over Christmas/New Year. Hope your coming vacation is fantastic, as I know it will be. ;)

    p.s. you can go to your profile page and see what time slot your blog is set for. Maybe it's in Hawaii or something!

    ReplyDelete