Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to the Grand Canyon we go...

For many of you in the US the weather has been less than stellar. Quite the opposite here in the great Pacific Northwest! We have had amazing temps and the sun is out yet again this day. We are going to be getting up to the mid-50's yet again this day. Michael has headed home from his brief visit and so as I wait for Amazon Fresh to deliver the groceries, I thought, let's get this blog updated. A lot to share.

Grand Canyon! What a treat, on the road in my Chevy Equinox. What a comfortable SUV and within the hour I had crossed the Hoover Dam. I had watched specials and read a lot about it, but boy, as you approach there is an anticipation that cannot be beat. Then the reality hits and you realize all too soon it is over. The security check point was so lame! Come on guys. The speed of traffic did allow to see some of the special touches along the way from the original, but soon all this will be changing! A huge construction project is happening and it all is to be done by this November. It is called the Hoover Dam Bypass. I think the original Hwy 93 will be there for the tourists, but all the truck traffic and people wanting to get on through will be taken via bypass and it is an amazing thing to see being built.





It was Tuesday and so I listened in on the marketing meeting call as I cruised through the Arizona desert. Arrived at El Tovar Hotel at mid-afternoon and was decked out in a beautiful covering of snow. It was magical to be sure. I had taken steps to make it so I only needs my small overnight bag and so as able to settle in quickly. The day was tempered by the fact that it would have been David's 39th birthday. I decided to dedicate tonight's dinner to his memory. After checking in I spent an hour or so up on the mezzanine reading email, etc. and then looked out and just enjoyed the view. Icicles 3 feet long hung like a guillotine awaiting the next victim. Took a stroll out and about before the sun set and the temps plunged. It was amazing to be so close to the edge of the Grand Canyon. It is just STUNNING! I went back to the room to relax and have a bit of a nap before dinner. At the El Tovar, you must make dinner reservations or possibly go without dinner. It is quite popular and I had made mine over a week ago. If you are staying at the hotel you can make them up to 6 months ahead and likely during the summer months that is wise. Lucky for me, it was not quite that horrible. Oh and know there is always the option of room service if you forgot to make that reservation and so you are not going to have to starve. That would be a pity.


I began with a couple of Chopin Vodka Martini's with blue cheese stuffed olives. Delightful. The first course was Deviled Crab Cakes with Sonoran Remoulade and it had a nice bit to it that was not overpowering and yet felt needed. For the next two courses, I decided on a Pinot Gris prepared especially for the hotel's Centennial. It is called El Tovar Centennial, Henry Estate, Umpqua Vally, 2007 and was available by the glass. The soup course was a French Onion Soup Gratinee. Just delightful and a nice small portion to allow for the multi-course dining experience to occur. Salad course provided an opportunity to indulge in one of the most amazing salads I have had in a very long time. It was a Spinach and Endive Salad. While initially sounding a tad boring, what they enhanced it with brought it to life and beyond. Only the spinach got dressed with the apple walnut vinaigrette which was a stroke of brilliance. Adding the Gorgonzola, Bacon and Sahllots just made it a home run! Even the house made rolls were a delight and while the Italian Herb Tri-pull Rolls were exceptional, the Cheddar Onions Biscuits could have been best left for a bowl of chili. A little break to enjoy the lovely murals and sand paintings above the fireplaces made the arrival of main course all the more special. Main course wine selection was Firestone Vineyards, Santa Ynez 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon. This was a peak of dining experiences on this trip and how better than a Grilled New York Strip cooked rare with Buttermilk Cornmeal Onion Rings. On the side was a vegetable blend of carrots and broccoli rabe plus fingerling potatoes that were roasted and quite forgettable. Dessert consisted of a lovely fruit tart that had an electric blue sauce for impact, whatever. Coffee and a Frangelico capped off the meal. All of that for just under $100. AMAZING!


While the meal was amazing, the elevation made sleeping next to impossible so my two night stay became a one night stay. I headed down to the lowlands the next day, but oh the adventure I would have on my way back to Las Vegas. So up early and got phone calls out of the way with staff and on the road back to Kingston, AZ and up a road over an hour to The Skywalk. Suppose to cost $29.95. Well, add tax and some other pass and poof, over $70! RIPOFF! Got there and then had to board a bus after going though a gift shop. Did I mention I did not even buy a glass of water I was so pissed off at all this money, money, money talk. Well, it was a walk out on the glass horseshoe in my booties that I got to keep! Back in the car and on the way back to Las Vegas I stopped at an In-N-Out Burger. The burgers are fine, but do not like their fries. Nasty. Drove on into Las Vegas and crashed but not before experiencing something that was on my list, but was so not prepared for it. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment