Saturday, July 19, 2014

Ani Comes To Visit

I have know Ani since the mid-80's when we both worked at Old Wives' Tales restaurant in Portland.  I was a wining room manager and she worked in the kitchen.  She is an awesome cook.  Got me to truly appreciate Verde Enchiladas among other things.  She moved east and I got to visit her when I loved from Dallas to New York City in 1987 and then she moved back to the west coast and has lived in Orinda, California for a while.  In 2004 we spent a month together in Europe visiting Turkey and France.  'Sacre Bleu'

She had to deal with a tire issue first thing in the morning and soon was here and it was so great to see her and she looks amazing as always.  Damon met her for the first time and they instantly hit it off.  Below leaving he was showing her his tattoos and much laughter was shared.  
Decided on making a couple of tried and true salads for lunch, but needed a main course of sorts.  Since it was summer kept to a cool lunch theme.  We had a stretch of hot weather and of course the day I go for the cold lunch is when the overcast returned, but believe me, no complaints here.  From the picture above you can see that I made my Roma tomato and English cucumber salad as well as the asparagus and strawberry salad.  Both are so tasty.  Decide on a Rose wine to go with lunch.
I had recently, with Damon's help, made a shrimp pesto pasta dish with mushrooms and tomatoes.  So today, I mortified it and made it with chicken plus as you can see in the upper picture, I had bowls of feta cheese, walnuts and olives to add to the dish pending your tastes.  I knew Damon does not like walnuts or olives.  It was awesome and filling.
Ani has heard me talk about Catan for years now and it was delightful that Moonsong joined us first for lunch and then for a game of Catan.  We played the basic game as it was her first time.  In the picture above you can see how serious she is about learning the game.  Additionally, you will notice a tray of miniature lemon tarts that Moonsong made for dessert.  Oh so tasty.  Below is the swan song to the game as Moonsong puts it away.  OK, ok, yes, I won.  It just keeps happening.   Damon is now encouraging me to throw the game so he can win.  But we do have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment