Monday, April 26, 2010

Laughing about Fluff and Spam

I am currently reading a book that is the "Best of Food Writing 2009" and there have been some fun articles in it. Two I read yesterday had me laughing pretty good. The first was on Marshmallow Fluff. Now we don't have that as much out here on the west coast, but back east, specifically the northeast, it is like hallowed ground. It is the basis for a sandwich called Fluffernutter. Long a staple of playgrounds, after-school snacks, college dorms, and the local diner, a Fluffernutter is a wonderful concoction of Marshmallow Fluff and peanut butter in a delightfully tasty sandwich! Of course you only use white bread for such a treat. Do you know there is an entire website devoted to this product?
So tell me, when was the last time you had a Fluffernutter or enjoyed the wonderful taste of Marshmallow Fluff? I must say I do believe I have only had it two or three times and that is when I lived in New York City. It was so sickeningly sweet, I could not believe it and actually had to try it again just to be sure. I guess I must like pain of something?

The next article was also quick a lot of fun and one that I was proud to say I have tasted in a very delicious way. I went to collage at Willamette University and there was a high concentration of Hawaiians there. Well, Hawaiians eat more Spam per capita than any other state in the union. They could cook it like there was no tomorrow. Quite delicious. You can learn recipes and much, much more at their website. It is where I found out that you can get the following kinds of Spam currently:

Spam Hickory Smoked
Spam Bacon
Spam Lite Single
Spam Classic
Spam Oven Roasted Turkey
Spam Lite
Spam Low Sodium
Spam Spread
Spam with Black Pepper
Spam Single Serving
Spam Hot & Spicy
Spam Cheese
Spam Garlic

Sadly, I have to announce the special Spam made during the run of Spamalot is no longer available but the website does have other items available. I am the proud owner of a Spam snow globe and it does get a laugh or two when people pop in my office and look at my collection of items I have accumulated when traveling for work.

So in writing about these two articles it made me think of this picture I saw online. Some of you remember the picture of the chairs in the posting I did yesterday. Well, the website had a picture of this girl looking at what I am guessing is her Mother putting jam on a piece of bread. The look in her eyes could only give her the title "Devil's Child" in that she looks like she is going to lunge for the bread and her Mother's hand in one swoop! The picture was to point out the bread, but that almost becomes, no wait it does become secondary to the little girl and her look of attack!

And so goes another day. Boy it was rainy and drippy here in Seattle this afternoon and work was about the same. But heck, it is over and now I am home and tonight it is British Antique's Roadshow followed by the American version. Not a bad way to kick off the week. Good Night!

1 comment:

  1. My introduction to Fluff was in 1989 on a trip to Maine. 3 year old Whidden was with me and we stopped at the home of an old camp counselor friend. When it was time for the kids to have a bite she offered a Fluff and peanut butter sandwich and I thought that she was kidding. I have to admit that I chose to have mine on a graham cracker rather than white bread and it was quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete