Saturday, May 8, 2010

Saturday - Take 2!

So today I went back to Hudson's for breakfast with Mick and we arrived at the same time as last week. What a difference a week and weather can make. It was gray and rainy last week so only 3 tables and a couple of people at the bar. This week sunny and nice and by 8:10am all 10 tables and booths were filled and not just with two-fers, but there were 36 people in there! Oh my gosh and bravo, or should that be brava since it was a woman, for handling it all. She acknowledged people and told them it would be a few minutes and slowly got everyone taken care of in pretty much the order they arrived. I think everyone understood and went with the flow. Heck, there was even one point where a guy asked for more strawberry jam and all the tables around him searched in the glass jars and passed them to him to save her a stop. She even took time to thank all of us.

One thing I realized this morning is that it is only for 21+ because of the bar and no divider. Stroller free! YES! Did not know it then, but it just became a top choice favorite. I decided to try what Mick had last week and that is the Chicken Fried Steak and it was mighty tasty. Too much to finish and that is saying something. Yes, I have been a member of the Clean Plate Society for a while. But I just hit a point and had to stop.

Got back to the apartment and could see it was going to be a interesting day as the "No Event Parking" sign was already in place. Went online and sure enough, the Seattle Sounders are playing as I type this in the early afternoon and the Seattle Mariner's play tonight. What is funny about that is that for the soccer game this afternoon parking is as high as $40 right by Qwest Field where they play and goes down the further you have to go. For tonight, since the Mariner's are doing so bad and attendance is down you will see prices cut in half. Go figure.

In 10 days it will be the 30th anniversary of Mt. St. Helen's eruption. It made me pause and revisit some of the pictures that have come out of Iceland with the recent volcano eruption there. Have you learned to say the name of the volcano yet? I do try and know I mess it up. But here are two of my favorite pictures from the postings in the Boston Globe. You can see more by clicking on the Globe's name.

The picture above is in a field during the day and it is awe inspiring to be sure and then looking at the one below at night with the glowing lave and the lighting formed. Oh my goodness.

I've had a few more two-fer moments this day as I watched a couple of episodes of Julia Child's original series on PBS called "The French Chef" and read a couple more chapters in the current read. It is a series of articles based on food. One chapter this day was all about being part of the process in killing the animals that we eat. Now why? Why do I have to have a better understanding of what I am eating by going and killing the animal. That is just a bit sick and twisted to say the least. No, thank you very much, I do not have to go and kill a pig because I like bacon. That is like say I need to go and grow potatoes because I enjoy a potato-based vodka martini now and then. Please. I do event planning because it is my job and others have employment preparing food for us to consume. I do not mind reading about how it is done and often that can be very informative. But I do not need to go and butcher a cow in order to appreciate a good steak. OY! Should I step down from my soap box now? Well, this is a good place to stop and I hope that all the Mothers out there enjoy their day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment