Friday, October 2, 2009

Hello from Copenhagen

I cannot believe I have just said that…it is only now sinking in that I am here. Markie, johnny and Mike thank you for the messages. Initially I was stunned, but no more as I got to talk over this with a local at a bar. But first, here is how it all played out

The results of the voting as published by the International Olympic Committee.
Ballot 1: (95 eligible, 94 valid ballots)
Madrid - 28Rio - 26Tokyo - 22Chicago -18 (ouch!)

Ballot 2: (97 eligible, 1 abstention, 95 valid ballots)
Rio - 46Madrid - 29Tokyo – 20

Ballot 3: (99 eligible, 1 abstention, 98 valid ballots)
Rio - 66Madrid – 32
Rio de Janeiro elected!

The IOC is very emotional and well, Chicago was first and so after the presentation (we were the 1st of 4) the President left. This could have hurt us, but I do not think so. I think this…

The IOC cared more about the former president of the IOC. He was from Spain. They did not wish to diss him. So Madrid had to save face. Thus at the first ballot, I believe each continent stood behind its’ candidate and we lost. There’s a disconnect here and we did not realize it. Also, the USOC leadership all changed from Beijing to now. Not good. The IOC is an old boys’ club in the worst way. We had a good and solid bid…but emotion ruled the day, not bids, not practical, not last minute landings. Hell, Rio just canceled a world level swimming contest due to money. This should have opened eyes, but it did not.
Tokyo had solid funding and that could not be ignored. Seriously, already $4 billion lined up. Madrid had the former president and well, Rio had a damn fine presentation and that map was just plain dead one. No games had been in South America.

So what to do…the ego-centric Americans learned a few things today. I learned a few things today. I will not share here, but tomorrow I will send along a post after my talk with Felix at Café Intime last night. VERY EYE OPENING about how Europe and the world view the USA…and yes, we have a few things to learn.
After the announcement we went back to the hotel and SALT where they had an amazing dinner for us…

First up was the Danish version of soul food fried platters of herring and Danish fish cakes with mustard sauce and minced beet root.

One local diner confided in us: "The food is not worthy of God's own table but it's so good for me I come here once a week." What does that mean?

Next up, the lobster soup – one word – FABULOUS!

Our feast continued with Brittany oysters with lemon and shallot-flavored vinegar plus mussels in a Pernod-flavored cream sauce with fennel and summer onions.

Next, it was a choice and I picked the best beef tenderloin steak w/ garlic-glazed fingerling potatoes and gold beets. I had read that many an evening Danish meal is Bøf & Ost (Beef & Cheese) and so now the former is handled…it is time for the cheese.

Not to be disappointed, a platter groaning with six different selections of the best cheese in the country arrives for us to devour with crusty and freshly baked bread.

Now mind you I picked the beef and good thing I did. Several choose pork chops with fennel and candied roots. Not a good thing. Locals then know you are a foreigner. During the war pork chops, was the favorite dish of the Nazi occupation forces in the early '40s. For years it was not served, but recently they are popping up on menus. Interesting how history can tag you.

A salad of sautéed spinach incorporating venison con fête with sautéed foie gras had me moaning Mama like no tomorrow! The lavender infused orange zest vinaigrette was truly something I had never thought of or expected.

The finale was pear-flavored sorbet with Danish raspberries and cream.

Wines were amazing and somehow I am still walking as I go out into the night for a bit of air and just to absorb all that is around me. Little do I realize that everything will become clearer as I meet a local and get perspective, but that is for the next post?

Must sleep for a few hours at least, we need to be up and ready at 09:00.
Hell, you knew I was not going to sleep in this city. It is all sinking in and after months of work I am now feeling like a free bird. WOWZERS! Yes, I said it feeling free and a bit frisky as well. Nothing came of Felix, except some damn fine conversation. But there is still tonight and well I do feel the need to score one for the home team…did I just go TFI?

As I got up there was an envelope on the floor of my room…slide during the night. It is an itinerary for Saturday. To use Uncle Markie’s term I do believe I have become part of a death march!

So our breakfast stop is to be a little café in Copenhagen. But first, a bit of history…situated on the east side of the Danish island of Zealand, this Scandinavian city is closer to Sweden then the mainland of Europe. Copenhagen is the capitol of Denmark, Europe’s oldest Kingdom. The dreaded Vikings used to call this place home, but, today Denmark is the very image of a civilized country, enjoying one of the world’s highest standards of living. Is it just me or is it a country where weight is just not an issue and I am feeling VERY much on display! OK, enough about me, for now.

We begin our day fun at breakfast. This country has elevated a flaky, fruit filled pastry to such a high level of perfection it is known the world over as “A Danish.” See – haha! OK, bad, bad…but during the coffee and pasty fest we will all given a Copenhagen Card and boy make sure you get one if you visit! Avoid the hassle of buying tickets for transportation, museums, and attractions. We get ours for free, but I fear there is a charge.

So the sheet says “If you feel the need to rush, to make the most of your short stay in Copenhagen, relax.” What the hell does that mean?

It goes on to boast - A wonderful way to get a feel for this harbor town is a tour boat ride through Nyhavn. Once the home of rowdy sailors and merchants, this sea going neighborhood has been a prosperous part of Danish life for over 300 years…wooden sailboats still anchor at the docks near Hans Christian Andersen's home. I am guessing the latter is why they picked this particular boat tour.

Later, it claims I’ll burn off some of those delicious Danish calories with a brisk Danish walk….but first; we have a boat to catch. Do they realize I am walking with a cane and am fat? Hell, getting out of my hotel room is burning off calories!

The provided tour sheet states: After your tour, head up Stroget Street, a pedestrian mall that leads from Nyhavn to the city center. Stroget is one of Copenhagen’s best places to shop, snack, or just to people watch. I am game, but it is suppose to be raining and so this is going to be a joy I am sure! NOT!

Stroget leads right to the Town Hall Square and the center of the city. Some travelers have a seat right in Hans Christian Anderson’s lap. The author of “The Ugly Duckling” and “the Little Mermaid” doesn’t mind at all. I do believe I plan on passing on sitting on his lap this day.Copenhagen is steeped in history with its share of churches, museums, palaces and a Queen. If this seems a little bit stuffy don’t be fooled because the Danes also know how to have fun. OK, so this is all in this sheet of pre-information, you so know I will have a follow-up tomorrow or whenever I am alive again.

Thankfully, they are allowing a two-hour break for lunch, beverages and shopping. I think beverages are at the top of my list and I have not left the hotel yet.

Did I tell you about where I am staying? Staying at Admiral Hotel is an experience in its own right. None of our rooms are identical. The grand, rustic wooden beams give the room’s individuality and a golden glow.

The interior design is also worth mentioning. In cooperation with Danish furniture classic designers Trip Trap, they have decorated each room with custom-made furniture of solid teak. Yes, it is over the top!

All rooms have a sophisticated TV and radio system, video-on-demand, telephone, e-mail and Internet access, mini bar, hair-dryer, 24-hour room and snack service as well washing, dry cleaning and 1-hour ironing service. Blah, blah, blah! All I can say is thank the goddess I am not paying for my room this weekend – it would be obscene. What an amazing place.

So let’s get back to our one day tour. We will have had a break and what better place to pick up than a museum…the Danes have a knack for design, whether it’s in architecture like the Black Diamond addition to the Royal Library of Copenhagen, or in everyday things. To see what a coffee pot SHOULD look like; spend an hour in the Danish Design Center, near the Tivoli gardens. The museum shows how Danish designers achieved international fame by producing furniture and everyday objects that are functional, graceful and comfortable. A private tour has been arranged for our group. All 4 cities are touring right behind each other.

Due to the votes, some people are sulking and not going to do the tour. Fine, spend the rainy day in your room. The Danish people have opened their city to us and I plan to take advantage. My butt is still soar from the flight, but I have NEVER been here before and hell, when would I know to put this all together again?! Get over it people, the IOC is an old school group of people who are out of touch and well, Rio got the bid and get over it!

While the sheet states and evening at Tivoli, I just found out a few minutes ago that they are opening this just for us this evening in Copenhagen, over 100,000 lights will glow for the city delegations —Tivoli Gardens, it is a must-see destination. They are running it as a special evening and locals can join in and it is a festive moment for the city. This is AWESOME! Tivoli is a one-of-a-kind amusement park-- right in the center of the city. For more than 150 years Tivoli has offered visitors an easy place to totally unwind. It was a direct influence of Walt Disney and you all know how I feel about Walt! They are opening the park for us and the city for a night and there is a show, but I think I am going to just wander. Now, weather permitting a bit of pyrotechnics will cap the night —a prefect end to a prefect day in Copenhagen.

Mind you, I live a rather full life. And there are times when I have to pause and pinch myself. This morning is one of them. Thank you Betsy for an amazing two year run that ended, but I will NEVER forget. Thank you Mark for a 12 year run that keeps going and I try and hit each day with new and fresh verve! Thank you to so many of my wonderful friends and family for their support. Also huge thanks, to my doctors who keep helping me through the challenges that pop up.

Live each day folks like it may be your last as you never know when that might be. There are the Yaya’s and Charlene, Erik, Curtis and all the creative team at E&A, Markie, Jeff, Mick, Jodie, Rob, johnny, Connie, Barb in Kentucky, Trista Anne, Tamara, Janet – MSMF and Mom plus so many others…thank you all! So for now, I do believe it is time to see the city and tomorrow I will try and post again. Let me knowif you likke this new form of communicating. The last journal got filled in San Francisco and that was the tipping scale to jump over here.

5 comments:

  1. Makes me wish I was there, and thanks for some perspective on what is going on over there. I have already grown tired of hearing the "experts" decipher everything for the general public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are enjoying this unique "once in a lifetime" experience where you aren't leading the group. You always live life at full throttle little bro! Have a wonderful time and thanks for allowing us to live vicariously through your adventures. Here I sit looking at what I can only imagine to be a pond someday... if we ever have rain again. Love, YSYF

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The 89-year-old Samaranch says he is 'very near the end on my time.'

    "Samaranch asked the IOC 'to consider (guaranteeing) my country the honor and also the duty to organize the games and Paralympics in 2016.'"

    My grandmother couldn't have topped that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this blog Chris. I always enjoy your view of the world and who could not enjoy the foodie section of this journal! Continue to live each day like it might be the last, never miss out on the wonderful opportunities life has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I don't have to tell you this, but have fun!

    And put some Danish craft beer on your beverage agenda; there are some good ones! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete