Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Fabulous Fireworks

The nation's capital kicks off our tour of fireworks and this is an amazing picture. You just cannot make this stuff up. The colors and iconic buildings make for a wonderful sight. This does not hint at the nasty weather that whipped through Washington, DC on Sunday stopping the rehearsal for the big show that is a PBS staple. Another favorite is the show put on by the Boston Pops and I have to say that their finale was the best as it was set to Sandi Patty's full rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner" that I still remember hearing the first time back in 1986 at the end of the 4-day Liberty Weekend. You can see it on You Tube and she is introduced by Peter Jennings. I sure miss him.Without a doubt, top honors for show stoppers goes to Macy's fireworks display that is shot off on the Hudson River. Six barges shoot off a nearly 30 minute display and this year it was a nod to the 125th anniversary of the Statue of Liberty. The music was all over the place and worked quite well. Katy Perry's "Firework" has become a staple I fear of all shows. I watched 6 different displays and it was one of two songs in every show, the other was "Star Spangled Banner." The Empire Building got a much deserved 2nd appearance here in the blog. Love what they do with light on the top of the building. See June blog for Gay Pride lighting!And finally Seattle shot off a grand display and I watched it on TV, but at the same time I sat and looked out my window to the south as there was a string of fireworks going off along a slice of land that is country owned and there was a non-stop show going on down near my friend Markie's house. I watched for nearly 2 hours non-stop. Awoke just before 1am and sure enough, fireworks were still going off...Yankee Doodle Do or Die!

No comments:

Post a Comment