Thursday, August 29, 2013

Finally In New Orleans

Yesterday started off just great, some morning rain and getting the last of packing done and out the door on time.  Picked up Curtis on time and on to the airport.  He took my car back to his house to live for the week while I am in New Orleans.  Went in to check-in and greeted with flight delay.  Indeed, an hour delay and thus missing my connection in Dallas for New Orleans.  They bumped me to a later flight and was able to text Damon to keep him updated.
 
He arrived New Orleans as we were departing Dallas.  The flight was not even half full and we made it to New Orleans in just over an hour.  Made my way to baggage claim with some assistance and all was good.  Well, it was until we got to baggage claim and this was the scene.  Indeed, one lonely bag on the luggage belt and it was not mine! 
Only one other time back in 2004 when a bag did not arrive Istanbul have I had a bag lost.  So off to the lost luggage office and found out that even though I was on the ground for nearly two hours, my bag did not make the change.  It was slated to arrive about midnight last night.  Needless to say, I was asleep by then and so Damon was very nice and went down and collected it this morning.

Found out that the hotel we are staying in just reopened 9 days ago after a six week upgrade.  Rooms are quite nice and really the only challenge has been that the phones in the room do not work.  Thankfully we have our cell phones.  It was a chilly 89 today and they are talking about how cool it is.  Give me a break!  Oh and can we talk humidity.  My outdoor time this day has been minimal.  Trying to keep cool.  Still adjusting to different time zone and did have a few computer problems this morning.

Seems my wireless mouse died on the trip here.  So it was off to CVS to get a mouse and that was about 6 blocks away...far enough to walk when it is 70% humidity outside let me tell you.  While we lunched at the hotel and Damon experienced Fried Green Tomatoes for the first time, tonight we are going to eat oysters ala Acme Oyster Co.  It is a New Orleans institution and should be a good time for all.  More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment