Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pleasure vs. Tasks

So it has been a while since I did a post and I can only fault that to this amazing weather we are having in the pacific northwest. You see since the whole El Nino (pretend you see a ~ over the n ok as I do not know how to put it there) thing took hold and has created weird weather all over the country, we have gotten warmer than usual weather with cold spurts tossed in. This has created a lot of drama in people getting sick. I mocked a lot of them until I was struck down. I mean it is fierce! Once I got home from the trip I had a "little" chest cold. Well, on the 12th of February was over at Jodie and Rob's place for the opening and felt fine and by Sunday, the 14th I was down for the count. Did not get out of bed, it was sad. I had to cancel going to a much looked forward to Valentine's Day brunch! The following week was hell! Pure and simple. Rest, drugs, sleep, work, rest, drugs, sleep, work...you get the idea! Only could manage half days and since I had been on vacation felt I needed to try and keep going in a bit. I discovered an amazing drug called Mucinex DM. Sure it is like $14 a box, but boy is it strong. Kicked the pants off the cough that would not go away and I will be kind and not discuss phlegmfest '10!

It took the full box and a lot of rest and finally feeling better. Had to laugh when I call the tele-nurse at Polly Clinic. When I asked if there was anything else I could do she said, "Chris, you are not going to bounce back - you are no longer in your 20's and 30's. You will get better! But this takes time and you need to allow it to happen." True to form I am getting better.

So what that means folks is that for the run of the Olympics, I had a horrible chest cold. Did get to watch some events, but bed rest was #1 for me and I read a lot. Heck, I am current on The New Yorker and this morning I spent the better chunk of it reading a wonderful book my sister gave me for Christmas called Immovable Feast ~ A Christmas in Paris by John Baxter. Quite fun. Going to be taking it down to Astoria on the 19th to give to Michael to read.

Now mind you while rest was foremost on my agenda while ill I was not a lame duck. Michael came up from the coast and we did take the lightrail for a spin since he had not had the opportunity to ride it yet. Mind you this was after we got out of the elevator where we were stuck for nearly 25 minutes (Little did I know it was to be repeated that same week, but I was on a solo ride that time!). From there it was off to the Symphony where Marvin Hamlisch was conducting the Pops with a Tribute to Stephen Sondheim. Quite enjoyable and from what I have come to understand, each program was a bit different. Marvin was quite engaging with the youth in the crowd and that was delightful. He was just stunned that so many people had showed with the day being so beautiful outside. Well, the audience was more than entertained and it would have been without comment if he had included something to acknowledge "Into the Woods" but hey, always leave them wanting more is how the old saying goes!

Afterward, we made our way to one of my favorite restaurants in all of Seattle, Brooklyn. I had hosted one of my birthday dinners there. Michael got to experience the restaurant for the first time that day. Due to the antics of one of the guests at the party, Michael and I both wanted to dine there to erase as much of that experience as possible, but holding on to the dear memory of all those that did attend who did not feel so self-serving. Well, this meal did it. From our arrive during happy hour to being seated it was a meal not soon forgotten.

We began with our martini's of choice and enjoyed a dozen Quilcene oysters each if memory serves me correctly. From there we took our table and enjoyed a four-course dinner. Up first we decided that since we were going with beef Michael especially enjoys Merlot wine. They happen to carry a favorite of mine, L'Ecole No. 41 and it was delightful. The 1st course is a complete and utter display of indulgence - The dry bay scallop with fois gras. It is just stunning and something I treat myself to when I go there. Next up we split a Serrano Salad and this was a lovely melange of meat, vegetables and cheese to really make a nice transition to our main courses. Michael opted for the signature dish - the Carpetbagger (filet mignon sliced open and stuffed with a yearling oyster and then wrapped in bacon and cooked. I went with classic sirloin with a Gorgonzola butter on top. Finally, for dessert we both had coffee and Frangelico's while Michael had the molten chocolate cake I went with the key lime pie. They even put a candle in it so I could blow it out this time. After a nearly 2.5 hour gastronomic extravaganza we rolled into a cab and headed for home.

Michael headed for home the next day and I rested. It would be another week before I was really back on track. Heck even as I type this entry I have noticed a lingering cough here and there. Need to be mindful. So the week unfolded as the medals kept pouring onto the USA count and for Canada it was wonderful as they piled on more and more gold. In the end it proved to be a win-win as Canada won the most gold medals of any country in the history of the winter games and USA won more medals overall than any other country in the history of the winter games. Go figure.

The last week of February saw me pondering the move from my apt. as I got notice of a $122 rent increase. It has been 4 years and time for a change. I really like my apt. but wanted a different view. Sounds simple right? WRONG. I have looked at over 16 different places and while some have had stunning views, in the end, it is the stuff in the apt. that really makes me happy. I like a shower stall, not a bathtub. I love having the washer/dryer in the unit. The black and white in my kitchen is balanced by the tan color of the cabinets. There is the openness of the kitchen to the rest of the apt. Location, location, location. So I mention to Pam downstairs in the office I am looking and get a call last Thursday. Not only have they erased the rent increase, they lowered my rent by $30 a month. Well, that sealed the deal and I am staying put. no move and no dealing with all the hassel of what goes and what gets tossed, although I am still doing that!

Guess I will get started on packing up the Christmas tree now since it was up to only take down and move. Likely next Saturday since Moonsong comes on Sunday to clean. Will likely end up connecting with Direct TV as I refuse, just totally refuse to get Broadstripe. They are a horrible cable company. Yes I am still frustrated with the way that some Asians drive and the various sporting events do get me in a bit of a dither, but overall, I have a great view and the apt. really is perfect for me. I can go down and ride the ferry if I want to look at water and mountains or even go to one of the many parks and take in the view. One thing I am going to do is to get back into mass transit. Got away from it for a while and well, I miss it and want to get this old body moving again.

So this posting has been all about getting you current on what has been happening. A couple of things that did not get written up in details but should be noted:

Still play Settlers of Catan and it is a blast. Have won more than
lost, but it is not about that. It is about the fun of taking time with
friends and enjoying myself.

Got to have breakfast/brunch with 2nd cousins Amy and Damien last week at a
place called The Pancake Corral. Everyone needs to eat at a corral at
least once in their life.

Yes I mentioned getting stuck in the elevator, not once, but twice in one
week and while I did get a bit miffed, it was not directed at the staff, but oh
they got to hear it. But they are wonderful here and to take care of the
place.

Overall, the family is doing good. Mom is battling a cold herself and
they do get a grip, speaking from experience. Janet is coming up on spring
break and loving her pond and ducks. Steve and Karen seem to be holding
their own. Mike and Joyce are proud Grand Parents now and still are
dealing with challenges of raising their own kids. They are much better at
it than I ever could be.

The country is facing some serious challenges of its' own right now.
We are so stuck in the mud nothing is getting done and it is hurting
everyone. Not sure if we are really recovering or gearing up for who knows
what. Kinda scary and yet we press on.

Finally, it seems that some of you have had challenges posting a comment to this blog. Seems it can be a challenge. Some reasone it only likes certain email addresses. Sorry about that. Hope all of you remember that next Sunday, we have daylight savings time kicking in - get ready.

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. OK, Chris........let's see if this one works.
    I've been farming.......planted Georgia onions today.
    Love your blog. Glad you didn't die; I'd miss you.
    Eric (AKA, the Colonel)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going down, not up during spring break! Whenever posting I get denied at first but pursue a 2nd try that provides a set of non-sensical letters to type in and then Bingo I'm posted. Thanks for updating!

    ReplyDelete