Wednesday, March 5, 2014

An Amusing Moment In The Office

Yesterday morning I am working away at my desk and a text arrives on my phone at 8:50am from Mark, the owner.  It simply says - Please cancel the senior staff meeting this morning.  Thanks.  OK, so I let the other three people know it has been canceled and each of them shows concern.  I figure that it was for one of two reasons.  Either Mark had to go to the doctor for an appointment or he was getting ready to board a plane and head either here or to one of the offices but did not want to say anything.  Well, it did not take long to get the answer.  About 2:30pm he walks through the door and you should have seen the staff in the office.  Yes, the picture says it all:
If you are doing your job there is nothing to worry about.  Now if you are not - then it is a whole new ball game.  I have worked for Mark long enough to know how the whole thing works.  He is here for a reason.  Am I doing what I am suppose to be doing?  Yes.  In fact, I was able to greet him with the news that we had made just shy of $16,000 in profit on the Greek Isles trip.  Of course, he has already spent it so there you go.  But, it deflects the heat of the moment as he closes my door to share why he is up here. 

Tele-marketing is a disaster and they have been having way too many appointments cancel or just no show.  He made a staff change a few weeks ago with letting Shelle go and Matt got a promotion.  Now Matt should have taken the low road of humility to start, but oh no, he starts talking about how great he is doing and how his staff loves him and on and on.  That lasted for about a week.  Funny, the same thing is happening with our new event coordinator in Chicago - Zach.  He has not been here a month and has stepped on land mines already.  Why do these people feel the need to stick their necks out so quickly?  Well, Matt is now in the doldrums and is worried about his job.  Understandable, but just buckle down and do your job and let other give you kudos when appropriate.  Personally, I live by the button below and find it makes for a much more calm day, but only if those stupid drivers would get off the road!
Mark will be here for a few days, who knows how long, but that is ok, it is his company.  I did put in two 11 hour days so far this week so I think I shall get out the door on time this day.  Last night I got home about 6:30pm and chatted with Damon a while as he got all excited about setting up a Google number and thus more accessible now.  Then ate some dinner and after watching a rerun of the prior night's "The Colbert Report" was in bed and zzzzing out in no time flat.  And so goes another fun day in Seattle, which by the way, has had another 2" of rain in the last 24 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment