Saturday, April 2, 2011

An Evening to Remember

Hello there, I am a cocktail. I am Chris' cocktail. This swizzle stick is rather "handy" don't you agree? After pretty much inviting myself to dinner as I was jonesing for some grilled meat, I arrived and was met with this lovely cocktail and some very fancy Tonic Water. It was quite lovely. Between the festive ice balls and fancy tonic and snappy swizzle stick, I was the cat's meow. And so the evening began. We even played a round of the northern European train game. Dare I tell you I won? Opps, guess I just did. So these are the two bottles of wine that we decided on having with the dinner. Oh what a dinner. Rob and Jodie went to Double DD Meats and got a big old bag of meat including three glorious Porterhouse steaks. Those just scream Big Ass Reds! So the Zin on the left, 2006 Zabaco and on the right a 2008 Reserve Syrah from Tsillan. Oh be still my heart! First course was an amazing salad of dressed greens complete with mushrooms, tomatoes, cucumbers, croutons and pumpkin seeds. Yummers! It was during this course I got the first taste of the Zabaco and I was in heaven. It's funny what amazing wines can do to people. Ladies and gentlemen, this is what I was not able to eat last night. Mind you, when I began, there was no room for even the bread! A Porterhouse is kind of a composite steak coming from the point where the tenderloin and top loin meet. Basically an over-sized T-Bone steak the porterhouse is thicker cut and has much more of the tenderloin relative to the loin portion. If you remove the bone and cut out the two steaks that basically make up this steak you will get a tenderloin steak and a top loin (or New York Strip Steak). So if you are ordering a Porterhouse, I hope you're hungry. Mind you, we had already had drinks, salad, plus there was bread with dinner and broccoli that had been steamed and then had Beecher's Flagship Cheese melted on it. Oh, it was a very good evening. And really, can one ever have too much fun? Why yes that is a Starbuck's bag on my head and for a good reason. It is where we had dessert from. As part of Starbuck's 40th anniversary they now have added mini treats to their menu. Tonight we tried the Tiramisu Cake Pop and the Red Velvet Whoopie Pie. Both were a delight and a perfect ending to a perfect meal.

1 comment: