Wednesday, June 5, 2013

24 Hours Later...

Well, it has been a tad over 24 hours since the interview and so here are my thoughts of what happened. I was overwhelmed in that the questions came fast and hard. I worked to not let them see me sweat, say too many "um's and oh's" to fill in quiet time and to not do a lot of excess movement during the interview. There were two gentlemen about my age and the other dozen were younger, some a lot younger.

While I went in quite confident, I did not have the same feeling afterwards. My friend Tim who was listening in on the interview said afterwards, "You didn't do too bad." That is not a glowing reference to be sure. I came out of the interview feeling like a wet noodle. After that I had to hit the ground running as I had three staff video conference calls, a senior staff video conference call plus reviewing 5 calendars for July and doing the funding request for the week in addition to the usual calls, emails, discussions, etc. that happen daily.

By the time I left I was exhausted and went home dragging. It had been a really hard day and yet as I made the drive home I realized by what I was attempting to apply for this would become the norm and not the exception. Do I want that? Once home, I decided to give this whole matter some additional thought.

Some friends work at Microsoft and told me how they do their interview process and it sounds like Digilent has copied them. Further, I sat down and did some serious review of the weather. I love Seattle weather and it seems that Boston is a bit more extreme when it comes to summer and winter. Not sure if that is something I want to deal with at this point in my life.

So now I await the results by end of month and see what will happen. Exploring a firm that has opened shop down in Hillsboro, Oregon as a possible option, but there again, is it the rat race style or comfortable. I have been at this position for 15+ years and know I need to move on. This whole experience has been one to get me to begin the process and where it ends up - who knows?

So on other topics...the apartment is feeling very much like it is me at this point and that is a good thing. Monday night I created a tomato, mushroom and garlic sauce and put it over a hamburger steak. Quite tasty. Last night I took shrimp with peas and combined with an Alfredo sauce for a stew like dinner. Tonight I plan to take the rest of the shrimp and put on a salad with tomatoes, cucumbers and some blue cheese stuffed olives for a bit of a kick. Using a balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Next weigh-in is next Monday. Had a very clear and enjoyable conversation with Mom on Sunday that last nearly 40 minutes. I do treasure when those happen as they are few and far between. 25 days until Damon returns, not that I am counting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment