Thursday, May 6, 2010

Only 232 days unitl Christmas

So did your heart just flutter...I really hope not, I was just making a point. The whole thought of buying for the holidays has made it so the holidays are no longer fun. A few years back I decided to change that. It began with not going home for Christmas. That was just not right, but wait a minute. Alaska Airline/Horizon Airlines knows people are trying to get to Medford in droves and so they jack the price of a ticket by 3 to 4 time of normal. It would cost me in excess of $800. to get decent flights home for the holidays whereas if I wait until January, they drop to $198. round trip. So I called Mom and said, "How about my coming in January and we celebrate then?" She loved the idea and poof, it was born. Who knew the side effect and that is where Michael and I share Boxing Day together and make it a fun holiday. We just have fun and I head down on the morning after and we have a serious British holiday. What is also fun is that I get to have a "Jewish Christmas" with Helene or some other kind of fun. A Jewish Christmas = Chinese food and a movie. This past year it was Chinese food and Catan, a game I enjoy playing with friends. This whole Christmas thing has gotten out of hand. I love the holiday and the meaning and the magic of the season. I do not like how people get so crazed that it is no fun for them. Take back the holiday people.

So why did all this happen? Not sure. But this blog post happened in that I was watching PBS tonight and there was stress on the financial market due to panic in Greece and the market dropped 1,000 points and recovered and a guy is in custody because he wanted to blow up people in Times Square and well, the world just needs to take a breath. I know I am. Currently I am in a unique position at my firm. We had the controller leave and the Director of Sales is on such a thin ice it is crazy. I have been there 12 years and well, it is not where I will be when I retire and so where is that? A lot of confusion. So while I will stay put, change is beginning to happen. That means working on weight and seeking a new career path at plus 50 = ouch! But it can happen. Especially since I am making all this happen. So grab the silver rail and hang on because the new ride is just about to begin and who knows where it will end. Enjoy the ride and the holidays.

1 comment:

  1. Surprised to see the post after our talk but enjoyed it anyway. I do miss having you around on Christmas but understand the ways and wherefores. New traditions and changes break up the monotony. YSYF

    ReplyDelete