Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday Musings

Yesterday's post brings up the whole food truck movement that has just blazed across the country. Do not know if you knew this, but Portland is now rated #1 in the USA for food truck operations and there are at least three permanent areas where they have a vast array of trucks established that operate into the wee hours of the morning.
Some of you wrote and asked about the dinner I made, the shrimp and pea stew, I added just enough Alfredo sauce to bind it together. Not excessive and thus not a lot of opportunity for bread, of which I am shying away from.  This evening I am just not sure what I will enjoy as a grocery order is being delivered between 6-7pm. Included in the order are 4 lovely rib eyes for grilling on tomorrow. Hosting a few friends and will serve deviled eggs and the green bean salad I am making. Before dinner, while playing Catan, there will be water crackers, cheese and salami. Cocktails, of course.  While I will be sticking with my vodka tonics, most of the crowd will be enjoying Old Fashioneds.
The recipe for their beverage of choice:
  • 2 oz bourbon whiskey
  • 2 dashes bitters
  • 1 splash water
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 maraschino cherry
  • 1 orange wedge 
Mix sugar, water and  bitters in an old-fashioned glass. Drop in a cherry and an orange wedge. Muddle into a paste using a muddler or the back end of a spoon. Pour in bourbon, fill with ice cubes, and stir.
 
In other news...
 
We shall see what happens with the job interview. I have decided I am not going to sweat it. There is a side of me that says things work out for a reason and if nothing else, I have gotten back into the interview routine.
 
When Damon comes to visit we will likely go down to the beach at least once. There are two public beach areas fairly accessible in the Seattle area. Did I mention that I have a drumming store across the street from where I live? A good friend goes there every Tuesday when he is in town for a drumming circle. A couple of weeks ago they had an event on a Saturday where they did drumming outside and it was really cool hearing the light sound drifting across the street. It was not invasive.
 
As I mentioned, the weekend does have friends coming over and most of the weekly chores are finished so Sunday is open to all sorts of opportunities. We shall see. I was going to begin going through all my photo boxes and editing out all the excess. But Damon is having me hold off.
He is going to bring a scanner and we are going to begin scanning them into a "cloud file" and thus I can release a lot of these old photos. In one way it is nice, but at the same time I have not looked at them in so long that I am fine in letting the hard copy of each go. I would guess there are some that I will want to save, but most will be able to let go - like there are a lot of pictures of old apartments and things that I just really do not need to keep.
 
Funny at how I am more and more willing to let go of a lot of the old stuff as it just does not have a connection and I am not keeping it for anyone. I am sending a box of things down to my nieces and nephew in the next few months via my brother Mike to go through and keep or let go of that are family items. I just do not use or need all of them. Perhaps as they plan to have families they will want to keep and pass along.  But at least they will have a chance to be passed along and not just sit in a cabinet or closet collecting dust.
 
Whatever you do this weekend, do enjoy!  Summer is just about here and that means it will then be on its' way out!  Yes, it is my least favorite season of the year - LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment