Thursday, September 8, 2011

A Sticky History

On this date, back in 1930 life changed forever. Today is when Scotch Tape was developed as a brand name used for certain pressure sensitive tapes manufactured by 3M as part of the company's Scotch brand. Yes, a lot has changed over the years and one thing I know is that I have one of these black tape dispensers on my desk. I think they are a staple of many offices around the world as we seek to have a dispenser that will work with you as you try and hold an article or photo in place as you reach for the tape to get an item stuck together just perfectly.Although it is a trademarked brand name, it has sometimes been used in the United States and elsewhere as a generic term for transparent adhesive tape. The Scotch brand includes many different constructions (backings, adhesives, etc.) and colors of tape. Use of the term "Scotch" in the name has a pejorative origin. A customer complained that 3M was manufacturing its masking tape too cheaply, and told company engineer Richard Drew to, "take this tape back to your stingy Scotch bosses and tell them to put more adhesive on it."Who has not been impacted by Scotch Tape. Seriously, how often do you ask for adhesive tape. Nope, I didn't think so. Presents just look better and it has so many uses. I have to laugh that now the big push is the pull pre-cut packs. I can see the impact come the holidays, but boy what a blitz on that new option with the school year kicking off. What I know is that I need to stock up for the upcoming holiday season to be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment