Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Getaway - Part I

The elevator finally got up and running on Friday.  I do believe I hit the "stir crazy" wall on Thursday last week.  It really got to me and I was not pleasant to deal with.  So I decided that on Saturday I would take a drive somewhere - anywhere, just to get out of the building. 
Well, by Saturday morning I had decided to do something even more spontaneous and just drive and spend the night somewhere.  Called my friends who I was to have dinner with and cancelled.  They were quite supportive.  So took the Bainbridge Island Ferry over and then drove to Port Gamble.  It is a quaint little town that used to be a timber town back in the early 1900's.  Had lunch there at the General Store (above) and that was a hoot.  A little deli that served amazing food and yes there were even the shelves of the 10 cent candy in the store.
10 cents Candys...Woo Hoo !!!  Since 1916  Port Gamble General Store and Café 
So a little about Port Gamble - On a drive from Seattle to the Hood Canal or Olympic Peninsula, this pretty yet rather anomalous village appears like a New England vision on Kitsap Peninsula. A National Historic Landmark, the 19th-century company town was modeled after the founders' hometown in Maine. The lumber-manufacturing operations of the Puget Mill Company here, founded by Andrew Jackson Pope and Frederick Talbot, eventually grew into the longest continuously operating sawmill in North America.  Now it is a quaint tourist destination.  Below is looking down from the mezzanine of the General Store.
 Decided to have lunch there and it was a treat.  I started off with a "Garden Mary" which was basically a bloody mary but with a lot more veggies for garnish.  Quite tasty, but stopped at two knowing I had to drive.

The rest of the meal consisted of Waffle fries with caramelized onion dip (above) and then went with the special of the day - Cornmeal crusted shrimp with polenta fries and oh was that ever spectacular! 
After lunch, I made a call to The Inn at Port Ludlow as Damon and I had stayed there September of 2012 for a night when we attended a beer taster's dinner.  I figured they would tell me they were booked, but surprisingly they did have space as a wedding had canceled on short notice.  Thus, I headed back for the Hood Canal Floating Bridge to continue my adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment