Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Hump Day Thoughts


Sometimes I think I am going crazy.  It all sort of comes together and I want to scream.   I have been mind fried when I get home and it is all I can do to just try and be focused. Oh well, it will all calm down in due course.  The whole past couple of weeks has taken a toll on me and I do think it has finally caught up with me. Should just take a night off and let it all go, but that is easier said than done. 

I do not think I have had 4 new staff being trained at any one time like this. Granted Megan in Minneapolis is doing pretty good and so not a lot of oversight is needed. Courtney in Phoenix is picking up things and the daily calls are not nearly as long as they were. April in Chicago is causing a bit of concern, but I will be patient and see how it goes. She operates like a turtle at times and it drives me crazy. Finally, we just hired Ashlyn in San Francisco and she is like a deer in the headlights and it will be fine once things calm down. She replaced a guy who just could not cut it.

Work is a challenge and yet I do try and stay focused.  Now the move is out of the way, I need to get things settled so that I can continue my pursuit of making a change on my work situation.  There are times I just want to stand up and walk out the door, yet it is not a reality in that oh there is insurance and meeting my financial obligations.  Simple things like that.  But this is something that needs to get a lot more focus.  The way I see it is that I need to get my space settled and thus I can be more calm and be able to focus attention. 

My best laid plans have not quite panned out this week. I had a goal of opening and storing 4-5 boxes a day. Got it done on Monday. 2 boxes Tuesday and really only got the grocery delivery put away today. The delivery guy did a double take at the door saying, "Hey haven't I seen you someplace else?" We talked about Uwajimaya and he commented, and I have to agree, the neighborhood down there has gotten a lot rougher over the past 5 years. Tomorrow is Friday Eve and I actually made it so I have next to nothing happening over the weekend to allow for a good chunk of the unpacking to occur. I need to get boxes moved and open up space to assemble the shelf unit and then a good 10 boxes will be put in that.

Last night I had a chance to talk with a friend in California about the move and it was noted that there is still a lot of excess in the kitchen alone - really do I need 24 martini glasses? No, I don't think so. And again, really 60+ glasses why? Going to trim that down to like 24 which is still too much! And then there is the not one, but three pasta pots - REALLY! Why so many. As I put the various cook wear items in the cabinets I was stunned to see things I have never used in years. They will be going out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment