Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Remembering 12 Years Ago

Each year I see this view of lower Manhattan and remember the day oh so clearly.  I remember waking up and turning on the news and wondering why is Diane Sawyer on so early in the morning, it was not even 7am and that was when "Good Morning America" would be on the air.  I was living on NE Flanders and was in the kitchen and when I came into the main living area and saw the initial images on TV.  At that point they thought a small plane had hit the tower, little did they realize what was unfolding.  It was all so numbing and of the moment.  I was calling people and telling them to turn on their TVs, many were still asleep.  It was so shocking, nothing like this had ever happened in this country. 

Weird how we become so desensitized to such news when it happens in other countries.  It was stunning how quickly the world came to our aid and support.  It was so weird to see the whole event unfold on TV especially when the towers came down, by then I had the TODAY show on and it was just stunning.  Everything stopped that day - no work and as much as I wanted to turn away from all the coverage, I could not. 
A year later I was in Paris on 9/11 and was touched that Paris did a similar tribute to the top photo at their City Hall and was pleased to have been able to have that experience.  Now, 12 years later the memorial in lower Manhattan is opened and the museum is set to open next spring.  The new World Trade Center has topped out and should be done in the next year or so.  As time marches on this is one of those days that I do feel I will never forget "where I was" when it happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment