Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Safe!

Yesterday I referenced that baseball had returned to the Emerald City and that Safeco Field is the home to the Seattle Mariners. Now many of you have visited and have full knowledge of where I am in relation to the field. Others do not and so here is perspective:

This is a picture as I sit at the computer and look to my right out the window. What you see in the foreground is a really cool glass sculpture I got like 6 years ago or so at the "Art in the Pearl" in Portland. It is an art festival that is held in the north park blocks on Labor Day weekend and I was able to get it for a song on the last day of the show from the artist and I have not a clue who that would be now. It sits on a lovely glass table I got when I lived in New York City and it has traveled across the country and is really cool with a sand blasted top. Also on the table is a very recent addition. It is a picture of Mom, Janet and me. This was taken my 50th birthday weekend by a dear friend, Sandy (who also does a blog), and was gifted in the lovely frame for Christmas. Now, if you look at the top of the glass sculpture, you will see the roof of "The Safe" and that is why I took the picture. Below is it in telephoto lens time:
This is the position of the roof when it is retracted. The roof can be moved over the field in about 10 minutes and is fun to watch. When in this position it is actually sitting over the railroad tracks. I remember way back when they were building the stadium and they were installing the trusses that hold the roof and I happen to be coming up to Seattle on the train and we had to sit and wait for like 2-3 hours while they put it in place. They would not let the train go under it until it was secured. OY!

Many of you know my friend Markie. Well, for the last week he has been on a tour in Panama. He loves to travel and well, if you ever want to visit his blog go take a look at UMTravels. He took this trip with like 43 others and oh my. The heat, the humidity! Zonkers! I would not be a happy camper, but it is fun to read of his tales and what goes on and he takes a lot more pictures than I do.

Speaking of which, I was dragged kicking and screaming into the digital age. Much like when I had to get a cell phone. Not a happy camper. Well, I am going to be taking the leap here in the next month and getting a new digital camera. The only I have is big and bulky and eats 4 double "A" batteries like they are chalk. It is fun and I think pictures add a lot to the blog. So while I still have not added internet access to my phone and do not plan to for a while I hope, I am getting to be hip so if there is anyone out there who knows someone who is ready to jump into the digital age and needs a camera, I have one free to pass along, in the next month or so.

1 comment:

  1. I like the frame the pic is in. I've always thought the sculpture is amazing. So, from your facebook entry I get the impression that you were caffeine deprived. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete