Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ya, you betcha!

Today was one of those magical days that pops up and you realize oh how fun this could be and in the end it was all that and a bag of chips. A statement made by a 20-something I met today and actually used that phrase! Anywho, I am getting ahead of myself. Awoke and off to Glo's I went for breakfast with Mick. We do this every Saturday, but today we went early as in 7:15ish to get in before they were packed and as we left people were beginning to be waiting outside for a table. Ah, the joys of getting up early.

Back at the apartment, I got the purple chair packed up in the car and it was off to Markie's place to deliver it and then back to my place to collect the two packages and two chairs from the office for Catan tomorrow. Yes folks, I FINALLY have my passport! Only took since February.

Then called Sean to see if he would like to meet up at the ferry dock and head to Bainbridge Island. He is a guy who I have been emailing and chatting with for a time and is an interesting man to be sure. He has a head on his shoulders and knows the area plus he is mature. Refreshing for a 20-something...yes, the one mentioned at the opening. Well, he missed my ferry and so was on the next and we connected at the ferry terminal and off we went exploring the island and it was a tad scary in Winslow, a town within an inch of over-pimping itself to be too cute. Oh wait, I saw a lot of the faux architecture, it has sold its' soul.

Decided to venture on to Poulsbo. Let's just call it a taste of Norway right here in the great northwest. Where do you start? The cobblestone streets or festive banners and planter boxes?
The themed architecture that says we are so the Leavenworth of the western side of the Cascades! For those not in the know, Leavenworth is a little town that decided to shed its' humble beginnings as a lumber town and now is a complete faux Bavarian town that even includes "lighting" its' Christmas tree 9 times every December to accommodate the crowds. Heck, there were moments when I felt if I rolled down the windows I was going to hear "It's a Small World" playing through the streets.
But wait folks, it is also home to Viking Fest in May which includes rides, pancake breakfast, Miss Viking Fest and so much more. You so know I will have to go next year and do a full report. Here is a picture from this year's promotion.Now if you think that is weird, fear not, this was a teaser on http://www.msnbc.com/ "Foxconn founder Terry Gou might be regarded as a Henry Ford if only a dozen of his workers hadn't killed themselves." And that is just weird.

Well, to finish off the day, I swung by Jimmy's and got my wine and tasted some and then headed home after a quick stop at Ezell's for Fried Chicken Livers, Fried Okra and Potato Salad. Can you just say YUM! And to bed all too soon.

1 comment:

  1. Nice,more places to put on my list to visit this year. Thanks for the info! (I think I'll pass on the fried chicken livers...) Seriously?

    ReplyDelete