Thursday, December 12, 2013

Flowers Of Christmas

Ah yes, it is that time of year when we deck the halls and make the house festive for the holiday season.  One thing that helps besides the tree and greens used in garlands are the flowers of the Christmas season.  I have several friends who are growing amaryllis for the holidays.  Often red, they can also be white and also a variety they call Peppermint.  They are fun to watch grow and the results are quite stunning.
No other flower compares to the scent that paper whites provide.  My sister has given them to me on several occasions.  They grow so fast and often you need to put a band or ribbon around the stalks like you see above to keep them standing up as they often become top heavy.  The room just becomes a floral fantasy of festive scents when they are all in bloom.  Whether you have one bulb or a dozen they are a sure sign of the holiday season and can last into the new year.
Without a doubt, the overall favorite of the season is the lovely poinsettia.  I really enjoy the different varieties available.  For the past few years I have been putting white ones in my silver punch bowl.  This year I am not sure what I will do as we are going to be decking the halls this weekend and so will let you know what we decided to do.  Enjoy the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment