Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Flying to Phoenix

Morning came way too early as I was up at 3am and got showered, shaved and coffee before heading out the door. Thankful I did not have to repack for the trip. Tossed the tulips johnny had given me as I knew they would be a pedal mess if I left until my return. Called Yellow Cab and even with the rain pouring, they arrived in less than 10 minutes. So glad I learned the magic words, "I am going to the airport." Those simple words pop you to the top of the list. BUT, you really have to be or you can get black listed.

Nice driver, who has been in this country for 8 years. He is Ethiopian and had three kids, two of which are at university and works 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Yeah, he got a big tip and if it was all a story, well, it was a good tale, but far be it for me to judge when I got to have that feel good feeling about a guy making his life better. Got to the airport at 5am and it was a madhouse. Could not believe it. Flight was not until 6:55, but I like being early. Headed to the Board Room to relax and do some email before heading down the long walk to D10 to board.

They were begging for people to surrender their seats and if this had not been the 3rd try to get to Phoenix I might have considered. I already have a certificate from Monday's delay. In the air, sweaters and coats were coming off as people made the transition to hotter temps. Yes, Wednesday got up to 90 in Phoenix and no, I was not a happy camper. My bitch barrier was breached at 85. Ick!

On the flight a lady behind me ordered a Bloody Mary "but with Scotch please" which made everyone around her pause, including the flight attendant. Who went on to share back, "in 20 years of flying had never heard such a request." She did not hesitate another moment and was quick to fulfill the laddie's wishes. Well, it appears that the passenger had allergies and can only drink Scotch and potato based vodka. She had never had a Bloody Mary and decided to try one.

She took, by the sound of it, a big gulp or two and quickly announced to all "Oh my God that is awful!" Like Duh! Well, it was quickly taken away and I did turn around and mentioned that it would be quite a bit more enjoyable with the potato based vodka. Oh my.

We enjoyed an egg and ham souffle with asparagus and fresh fruit. Quite nice. Passed on the breakfast bread. Read and napped with 9:35am arriving all too soon. Headed to Rental Car Center which has opened since my last visit. Packed. If you did not have a reservation they would not let you in line. Thankfully I did.

At the office by 11am and waited for anyone to arrive. Had three appts. booked and got on the phones and booked a few more for the day. Glad I did that since the original three did not arrive. Mark, the owner, arrived and we had lunch at a place called True Food and it was OK, but more fun watching Mark try and find something to eat vs. me. e opted for a Turkey burger hold the avocado and a side of steamed green veggies. Proceeds to salt the life out of the veggies. I went for the chicken goat cheese salad with wild field greens and cranberries plus several other nice touches. Quite good.

Ended the night sleeping like a dog with so little sleep the night before, but all the people who showed were not going to work. Hoped for better on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment