Friday, March 18, 2011

Food in Phoenix

So I have checked into Hotel Highland and they do provide a breakfast each morning that is not too bad. But one thing that totally sucks is the coffee. So I have to make a stop on the way to the office each day at Starbuck's to get some coffee. They have no Peet's or Seattle's Best and I cannot get myself to go McCafe. Seriously. So it is a stop at the drive-thru which is right by the office and I snag my Venti-Iced Coffee with 2 Splenda and 2% milk with an extra shot of espresso. Oh how it gets me through my day. Curtis does not know how much I really appreciate him bringing it many mornings. Yes, it is my drug of choice in the morning to be sure. They seem to be so much nicer down here at restaurants and such. Too funny. I also can get a banana if need be. But they have had them at breakfast all week so far and that is a good thing. Lunch has been some Mexican thing and today was Jimmy John's!!! They rock and are fast and good. Amazing how they have just mushroomed everywhere.

Could not decide what to do for dinner on Thursday and it was not going to be a repeat of that tasteless dinner last night. No way. Crap-a-torium was closed and so I asked at the office and several good things were said about California Pizza Kitchen. So I went for it and even better, you go online, order and then pull up and call from your car and they bring out your order and on your way. Too cool. Got a couple of pizza taco's, an old-fashioned Wedge salad with blue cheese dressing and a piece of Red Velvet Cake for dessert. Can you say yum, yum, yummy!

Finally I got to meet Shannon here at the hotel. She is head of sales and I let her know I was none to happy about the lounge here on property, which made dinner a hot mess the first night. I asked where is a good place to get some food that was not too expensive. She did not pause a moment:"You have to try New York Pizza Department or NYPD. They are known for their pizzas and salads." So I did. Called them up and ordered a Chelsea Chopped Salad which is made up of a healthy serving of mixed chopped greens, Gorgonzola cheese, sun dried tomatoes, sliced almonds, bacon, cucumbers and NYPD's own dressing that is a mix of house vinaigrette and ranch dressing. Added in three Garlic Knots instead of boring bread and then I saw the desserts. Hurt Me! Decided to go for an old favorite from New York Days. San Gennaro Zeppolis which is doughnut dough fried and tossed with powdered sugar. These little nuggets of sweet and tasty dough are served with Ghirardelli Chocolate and Raspberry dipping sauces. Even a jaded ex-New Yorker can't help but say nice things about this Little Italy memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment