Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Mother Tour

Left Seattle a little after 9am and drove south on I-5 with a quick stop in Olympia/Lacey for gas at Safeway ($3.36 gal) and Starbucks for recharging.  Finding I like Starbucks bathrooms better than McDonald's when traveling.  Next stop, Sandy's work to drop off late birthday present to the "mother" of the Ya-Ya's.  Then it was on to Portland to meet up with Darlene.  She was, for years, my property manager and "mother" of sorts plus a darn fine friend.  She wore a dress for the occasion, I was touched.  You have no idea how rare that is!
As you might notice we met at Mother's Bistro & Bar.  A favorite place of mine and home to many memories.  Lisa, the owner, and I have been friends for years.  She was so sweet to stop by and chat, plus build a custom lunch for me of several favorites.  For starters, a small plate with half a biscuit and gravy on it.  Yummy!  Next, my mouth swooned as I enjoyed a beet, Gorgonzola & walnut salad with a scoop of chopped liver right on top.  Oh my it was tasty.  Main course was two slices of mother's meatloaf with tomato and lettuce plus a side of mayo and just for a little carb kick, a 1/4 portion of fries.  Perfect!  Darlene enjoyed a waffle with vanilla ice cream and blueberries.  Ice tea and water for beverages and we were good.  Oh and here is Lisa on one of her visits to the table.
Love those glasses!  All too soon it was time to be on the road  headed south.  Goal was to get to Ashland as I am spending a few days with Mom & Janet.  Arrived a little after 7pm with stops along the way for a Sonic Lemon Slush, Gas in Eugene ($3.53 gal) plus ice tea from Starbucks - yup, used their bathroom and also tried out the new rest stop at Exit 99 going south - very nice. 

It was warm, OK for me = hot, in Ashland and the fans were going.  Janet made an awesome dinner that beat anything a restaurant could have whipped up.  Steaks, Cole Slaw & corn-on-the-cob (yes I can have in moderation).  Pretty wiped out due to the long drive, so called it an early evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment