Monday, August 27, 2012

Cocktails, Solus+ & Sunshine

Monday kicked off and was quite the day at the office, but I plowed on as I knew I would be heading over to Markie's place for dinner.  I get a text from Markie asking if I would mind swinging by and grabbing his "small" package and bring it with me.  Well, no worries I thought.  Bad for thinking, it was a huge box and yet light.  I did get it down to his place and let him unpack it from the back, my job was done and I also brought him the leftover salad and asparagus to use up as I leave tomorrow for a week.  Don't want to see it go bad.  So once settled in, with Solus+ taking a nap, it was time to hit his bar.  And yes that is a stuffed rabbit to greet you.  
Dinner tonight would be on his back deck which has now taken on the name, Tiki Bob's, due to a neon sign he got at a business going out of business.  There is quite the use of bamboo all around and add the full outdoor kitchen and scissor lift for high in the sky dining.  Heck there is even a soaking tub, but you can't use it right now as his still is set up on it.
Markie was contemplative in thought as we discussed wines and this is one of his favorite topics.  We also discussed at length their lunch at Salty's on Alkai.  Sounded quite lovely.  Solus+ also shared of his upcoming trip to Turkey and that opened the door for me to share of my adventures there in 2004 with Ani including our visits to the Liver Shops for the most amazing tasting liver you have ever had in your life.
Solus+ is a former Episcopal priest with a heart of gold.  I had the joy of meeting him several years ago at a Breitenbush gathering and we have maintained a distant and yet friendly friendship.  Sometimes you just have to accept that distance is an issue.  He lives in Vancouver.  It seems that I am knowing more and more people up there and do enjoy visiting.
Markie made a lovely dinner of pork shoulder roast, asparagus in a roasted bell pepper sauce, a nice loaf of challah, a little cole slaw, good conversation with a bottle of nice Turkish wine in honor of Solus+’s upcoming trip to Turkey.  Good conversation, but all too soon I had to head home.  There was packing to be done as I fly to Chicago tomorrow.
Markie sent me home with a slice of the pork roast and a chunk of challah.  Perfect for a quick getaway breakfast.  A good thing as the morning was going to be more of a whirl than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment