Wednesday, August 22, 2012

In the Still of the Night

Tonight was anything but still as I hosted Markie, Mark and Onyx for dinner.  They arrived and in through the door they marched bringing my mail, packages and one very large package.  I learned all too soon the large one was Markie's and it was his newest toy.  Dinner was casually paced after appetizers of various cheeses and meats provided by the visiting boys.  Quite tasty and who knew I had so many cheese knives.  Pork chops in a BBQ sauce along with asparagus and cole slaw had all of full and what a delightful evening of good chat and laughter.  A shoulder massage by Mark was so welcome and tells me I need to explore that option more.  But let's get back to that new toy.

Slowly the wrappings came off and the gleaming copper came into view.  Initially I thought it was a beautiful vase and yet, why would Markie buy that?  All too soon, the answer was revealed...yes, a still.
So now Markie will make Moonshine.  By definition, moonshine is any illegally distilled alcoholic spirit. This means you can make moonshine using an assortment of ingredients. The most popular ingredients include corn, rye, and sugar. During distillation, moonshine distillate runs out from the moonshine still as a clear liquid. It’s typically bottled straight from the still or after polishing (filtering).  When asked when he was making the first batch, he replied without hesitation, "Tonight."  Why am I not surprised.

Another friend, Jeff Crandall is the executive director at Floating Bridge Press and September he is hosting the 4th GREAT ART PARTY and this year the the theme color is purple.  Like that was a stretch to figure out.  I will be emcee for the evening again and this year contributed a lovely glass piece that Jeff made that is a globe sitting on a stone base.  Another piece I have donated is called "10:48 am journal entry" and is a mixed media piece created by a good friend, Steve Hovart (below).  The photo below of the piece is a close up and it is framed.  I am going to try and get it back if my number is called soon enough.  If not, Steve has assured me that I will get another piece of his work. 
And so goes hump day for this week.  It was quite the day at work and only got better as the sun set and there was time to spend with friends and still I had time to call my own, a good day indeed./

1 comment: