Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Dinner To Remember

Hello there people, I am back and ready to tell you about an amazing evening. Having read about this place several times I was able to snag Michael, Jodie and Rob to join in the fun. So went met up at Bastille at 6:30is and it was just a delight. As Michael and I made our way to the entrance we were accosted by some vacationers from the Scandinavian region of the planet asking where they could find authentic Norwegians and Swedish people. What, like we have them on display somewhere? But I was polite and directed them in several directions and they may still be plying the wharf at this point, who knows?
Here I am gleeful in driving to the restaurant. Actually I am sitting in the parking lot at Wendy's over in Bellevue waiting for Michael and decided to entertain myself a bit. Don't you just love my Truman Capote Glasses. No they are so not gay at all! But oh do I love them. I have also referred to them as my Jackie O glasses. Seriously, found them at a vintage shop for like $5 and want MORE! They really cut the sun and fit my head. Go figure.
So here we are with our first course of nibblets of the evening. We ordered Baguette and also Frites w/ Truffle Aioli and regular mayonnaise. Both worked with the frites and what made the bread so delightful is that we shared that 3 of us were heel whores and so she brought a basket of those just for us plus the butter came with sea salt on top. Can you say yum yet? Rob kicked off the night with a lovely Chemay Belgium Beer while Jodie opted to go with the Côtes du Rhône while Michael opted for a classic Bombay martini and I decided on Vodka, Lemonade & Thyme with a splash of rhubarb essence, served on the rocks in a tall glass. What a refreshing evening kickoff.
Starter arrived and Michael ordered Arugula et Betterraves Rôties which was beet and arugula salad with pistachios, chevre croûte & red wine vinaigrette. Have you sighed yet? Rob ordered Salade Aux Tomatoes D’Heritage which was heirloom tomato salad with toasted pine nuts, grilled basil & arugula. I opted for the Potage D’Artichaut which is artichoke soup with red onion crème fraiche & baguette croutes that had a peppery flavor. See below.
At this point we took a bit of a break and I decided to go back and see the chandelier in the back bar. A crystal chandelier, big as a fridge, that had lit the opulent Shilshole Ballroom in the ’30s. Though the owner had no place to hang it, or even store it (Bastille had yet to open), the glorious piece wouldn’t leave him alone until he bought it. Now it dominates the gorgeous Back Bar with all the splendor of Versailles—er, Shilshole—itself. The picture REALLY does not do it justice. It is just AMAZING!
So now back to dinner and by now Jodie and Michael have both opted to continue with the Côtes du Rhône while Rob has moved to a lovely Beaujolais and I decided on a refreshing Alsace Riesling but felt it was a tad sweet for main course and thus decided to try the Sale Parisien (Vodka & cornichon) which proved to be delightfully refreshing and yet something I would likely only order here! And thus it was time for main course...OMG or for those not in the know = Oh My God! Below is what Michael ordered which is Caille Bourée de Brioche which is Quail stuffed with brioche and thyme, served with figs & Banyuls vinegar. Seriously is does challenge the Brooklyn's scallop foie gras for best small plate in Seattle.
Jodie decided to go simple and have the Poitrine De Porc which was crispy pork belly with confiture of rhubarb poached in rooftop honey, rosé & shallots. It was plated with a heck of a lot of olives that she took home plus more from my plate and Rob's too. But I am getting ahead of myself.

In addition to my main course I just had to try the Soufflé de Fromage Tombé or fallen cheese soufflé. Sadly, a forgettable moment in the evening. But as you can see it did look lovely and was partially eaten. Maybe I need to try the Macaroni Gratin next time which is their artisanal pasta “mac & cheese” from the back bar menu.
Alas, Rob and I opted for the traditional Parisian menu item of Pâté Maison with whole grain mustard, cornichons & baguette. It was lovely and just rounded out the menu so perfectly.
Seriously, we NEVER made it to entrées on this visit and yet we did not miss them. Michael was a bit saddened by the fact that he decided not to order the Poulpe Grillé which is grilled octopus with chickpea panisse and preserved lemon. But that is for next time. We did reserve room for dessert and while Jodie and Rob both ordered Plateau Au Chocolat which featured peanut butter cup, coconut cream truffle, violette truffle, strawberry pâte de fruit & peanut butter feullitine, Michael opted for the fresh berry tart that was light and lively. I had to go with the peanut butter crème glacée or ice cream that was served on a bed of peanut butter feullitine. Truly an orgasmic moment! While Michael and Rob opted for coffee I decided to try the Clear Creek Apple Brandy and it was a tad harsh on the tongue with the dessert, but live and lean. While the 4 of us did drop about $300 for the evening you could go less, but why? You only live once and I have to say the night will live in infamy.

1 comment:

  1. This was an absolutely wonderful meal. And yes, octopus next time!

    ReplyDelete