Thursday, August 19, 2010

Facebook and Faeries

OK, so the headline was a bit funny and yet so true. I have been having this love/hate relationship with facebook of late and deciding whether to stay or go. I had over 100 friends and well, I had gotten it done to 40. It was getting hard and yet I enjoy the blog so much. In so much of my life it is all black and white. Well, being the good fag that I am one must be open to all the grays that exist as well. I have found some great people on facebook that I had lost touch with like two dear teachers from my youth.

Cliff Brock was my journalism teacher in high school and I really like the guy. He had quite an influence on me and I lost touch with him. Well, he and his wife now live in Tupelo, MS and he taught at colleges in Russia and China and was a president of a collage. Looking forward to seeing him for the first time in decades and meeting his wife Mig in November when I stop by during my Fall-B-Que Tour '10.

Bea Rynning-Tønnesen (formerly Couchman) has been a life long friend visiting me in NYC when I turned 30 and we have written letters back and forth for years and then emails and now we Skype each other. She has two lovely daughters and I guess one of them took the picture above. She looks almost as good as my Mom does. God I hope I age as well as they have.

Now why were faeries added to the post headline? Well the summer Breitenbush Gathering is going on as I type this and it is one of those events that marked the end of summer for me and told me I had made it through once more. I am not there this summer and in some ways I do miss it. I am an elder of sorts among the faeries and I have this way about me where I speak from a "loving heart space" and talk bluntly sometimes having to tell poor young things information they might not want to hear but must. Like the accessories they have chosen are all wrong. Or it might be telling some newbie that their walk is all wrong, but fear not I always am there to provide guidance. Thus, I realize the need to return to a gathering at Breitenbush in order to provide much needed elder sharing or as some might call it a good bitch slap! Have a good day and blessings to all!

2 comments:

  1. I thought you left Facebook ages ago. I guess I'm one of the 60+. ;-)

    Nice post Swanda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are looking forward to your visit. Mid and I will fill you in on all the intervening years.

    ReplyDelete