Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Chicken - A Meal & More

Markie wrote and asked what I was doing for dinner. I had no real plans and yet was worried as he had written to me the night prior and I just had not gotten to email after my beach return. Yes, I got home and then crashed for a nap before heading north to Rob & Jodie's place to share in a Monday evening dinner party. Up the next day and working away, only a text message got my attention. So yes, I was up for it and he stated he would be over at the usual time.Now before proceeding you need to understand Markie and I get together and watch PBS Nightly News Report and then ABC and NBC National News. We are news junkies. So he is here at the apartment early and ran downstairs and did some shopping. Along with a chicken he got purple onions and potatoes. The veggies served as a base for the chicken in the baking dish. He stuffed a lemon in the chicken for flavor and the whole thing went in the oven. We laughed at how it was a "Husky" dinner with the yellow and purple colors. So it cooked away and there was cucumber salad which I love from downstairs at Uwajimaya Market. Toss in a bottle of wine and there you go. So the chicken was cooking and we were talking away and Markie's phone rings and it is Curtis. He was invited and stopped downstairs and got some rolls. Arrived just as the chicken came out of the oven. What a nice surprise as the three of us sat down to a great dinner of chicken (which I showed how to cut up fast using cooking shears vs. a knife) and veggies plus the company could not be beat. And while this might have been the end, it was not. I am a soup whore in the fall and winter and Markie loves using everything again if possible and thus the bones all ended up in the pasta pot with water and cooking away making stock. I added some veggies and it cooked away until 3AM when I pulled it off the stove and then let it cool a bit before putting it in the frig. Tomorrow will be a simple pea and rice soup and using the homemade stock base all I can think is YUM! So here is a case where a simple meal becomes several meals. But even more important, getting together with friends is so enjoyable. Oh and by the way there is enough stock that I see not just soup for dinner, but at least one more meal or two to enjoy and that is what autumn is all about.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm, I am craving soup too. Maybe a butternut squash or pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete