Saturday, October 2, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad & Hello San Francisco

Today Dad would have been 88 and so I pause and remember him and all the good times we had. The one memory that hangs with me is one of the last Christmas' that I got to share with Dad. Anne had flown over from France and we were down in Ashland. I had snuck a chunk of coal into his stocking and so on Christmas morning we were digging into our stocking and he started laughing. Well, I know I have a framed picture somewhere and yet do not even need to see it. The image is burned into my mind. Amazing to think that 11 years have passed since he left us and how many times my siblings remind me that I share a lot of his characteristics. So on this day that has me thinking of Dad, I flew to San Francisco. This is a work trip and yet I get to have some fun too. At Sea-Tac I got a very nice surprise as I was slated to be in coach and at the last minute got upgraded to first class. Thus, I enjoyed a couple of Bloody Mary's on the way to the city by the bay. After disembarking from the plane I made my way up to the BART train and caught the yellow line into the city getting off at the Powell Street Station. Just a short walk over to the hotel. I stayed at the Parc 55 Hotel. Got a screamin' deal on the room and quite nice to be sure.
These pictures give you a glimpse of the room. The king size bed was quite nice to be sure. The furniture was just not that great to be honest. Very deep and so I sat on the bed and at the desk for the most part. But the bathroom was a delight as you can see. Totally comfortable and I liked how I could work and watch TV at the same time. Sadly, for most of the trip I was battling a cold and thus the pillow on the bed claiming "Be Well" did not apply to me. But I did get a lot of rest.
After getting settled in I contacted Ani and she made her way in from Orinda and we met at our favorite restaurant. Tadich Grill has been around since 1849. It is an amazing place to be sure. We have been meeting there for years and it is a place that just holds a special place in my heart. I got there a little ealy and took these pictures. Sadly, I was in a hurry getting there and in process I lost my cell home. Seriously, it was a challenge and yet freeing at the same time. After having no luck getting a replacement in San Francisco at the T-mobile Store, the people in the Bellevue location when I got back were great!
The Tadich Grill has been around for years and we sat down to cocktails and a half dozen Pacific Oysters each. Next was chowder to enjoy with the great bread and following up was sharing the special of the day - Crab Cakes. Can you just say delicious! We opted to share main course and since it was to celebrate our birthdays and all we topped off the meal with dessert as Ani opted for the Mixed Berries with Zabaglione Sauce while I went for the Key Lime Tart.With some of my early Christmas shopping out of the way and being able to chat with Ani for a while it was time to head back to the hotel and crash. Fighting the cold and a full day under my belt I needed to get home. Heck, I even cut my visit with Dave short to less than an hour as sleep was so needed. The first day in San Francisco was done and yet so much was still to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment