Sunday, February 10, 2013

Looking Back - The Dinner at Ruth's Chris

When I started doing the blog again I mentioned I would look back from time to time on events that happened last year that were worth sharing. There was a dinner that occurred on Sunday, September 2, 2012 in that was the first time Damon and I had dinner together.  Yes that is him below.  For those that have heard me describe him, he is a bit caveman and also rabbi.  But he does make me smile and laugh alot.
So we met at Morton's for dinner as I had some gift cards to use up and it was also in the hotel where we were attending a conference.  We began with Chopin Martinis Up with blue cheese stuffed olives.  They are a favorite of mine and he seemed to enjoy experiencing it for the first time.  We also enjoyed appetizers of Escargot and a Hot & Spicy Lobster dish that you can see below.  They were quite wonderful. 
From Winegeeks, I share a description of the wine we had that night called The Prisoner.  "Orin Swift Cellars also makes a little wine called The Prisoner. You may have heard of it. Just in case you haven't, and you simply aren't anyone if you haven't, it is a hedonistic blend of Zinfandel, Cabernet, Syrah, Petite Sirah, Charbono, a Kitchen Sink, Grenache and a steering wheel from a '68 'Cuda. Just kidding with the "anyone" comment, but I must say in all my years in the wine industry I have never come across a wine that has developed such a buzz about it so quickly, so completely and so justifiably at the mid-$30's price point that The Prisoner commands."
Yes, this is their Sliced Beefsteak Tomato salad that is then topped with pickled onions and blue cheese.  It was truly heavenly.  I could have just ordered another, but that was not an option as the main course was on the way.  But I must shared we never felt hurried and what a wonderful evening.
While I enjoyed the salad, Damon opted to try the Lobster Bisque.  He does enjoy soups and this proved to be a great choice for the evening.  Perfect for enjoying over good conversation and great wine.
We both opted for Filet Mignon, but while I had mine with the blue cheese crust he had his au Poivre.  We decided to have an order of the Sauteed Mushrooms on the side and an order of the Asparagus Hollandaise.
Yes it was a meal fit for a king, or in this case a couple of queens!  But it was a wonderful evening and it was capped off by a slice of key lime pie.  What a great meal to cap off a very fun weekend.  In future postings I will share some of the other food I got to enjoy over the weekend as it was quite the adventure.

So this morning I awoke and got a load of laundry out of the way as the city was swallowed in a dense fog bank.  No worries, as the morning was to be a slow paced one.  It was a delight to get things in order before Moonsong arrived to clean just before 9am.  I was then off on a mission.  I took the next two hours to drive through a variety of neighborhoods in town to see about apartment availability and if they have a vibe I liked.  It was fun to visit Ballard, Fremont, Queen Anne, Belltown, Downtown, Elliott Bay and in the end there are a couple that could prove interesting.  Parking is going to be a challenge I fear unless I get a parking space in the building.  We will keep you posted.  But now it is time for lunch, a few phone calls and a much enjoyed nap - a favorite of Sunday afternoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment