Monday, June 21, 2010

So Here I Wait...

for knowledge that my friend Markie is actually on a plane home. He left Friday on a mission. He found somewhere that there was still a DC-3 plane still in service, and well, now knows there are like a half dozen, but that is another story. He is a plane buff much like I am a fireworks whore! Well, he was on a mission. So he flew up to Edmonton via Horizon Air and then rented a car at an obscene rate. Drove up to Hay River in the fricking Northwest Territories.

From there he boards the plane and flies to Yellowknife. To save some $'s he decided to just "sleep" in the car at Hay River until the flight. Well, it appears to be a bit chilly up north, EH? And well, he woke up about on the hour and turned on the car heater to warm up. But hey, he did not oversleep and miss his flight!

Here is an interior shot of the plane and please note the cargo option in the rear, and no I am not talking about the women on the plane, seriously it is like half people and half cargo.


Yes, old propeller style engines and clouds parted to allow for a stunning view of the land below. You know I am happy he keeps ticking things off on his bucket list. I am finally getting around to redoing mine as I have gotten to do so much already in my life. The good times keep on coming.


And come on, is he happy or what in this picture! He got to sit up in the cockpit with the pilot and that included a cocktail plus he got a T-shirt and pin to keep. OK, so he did not get the pilot, but well, that is a whole different story!

So he got back to Edmonton and I was to pick him up at 6:45pm this evening. We were going to have dinner at 13 Coins this evening. Alas, not to be. He originally got to the airport WAY early like at 12:30pm for a 6pm flight = mountain time. Well, at 4:55pm, MY TIME, he tells me delay. And the messages keep coming. At last text he was boarding, but website says like 8:30pm. This is all due to lightening and storms in the area and the airport was actually closed for a bit. Oh the joys of adventure.
I am quite pleased that my group in Italy has been silent to me for a few days...that means good things are happening. Today was Venice. They get back Friday and that means next weekend will be deep sleep and no listening for the phone to ring!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a bit to realize he was making this trek to get to fly on the plane! What a great adventure - I'm happy he was able to tick another thing off his list. ;)

    ReplyDelete